Another Burnishing Thread.

This from the early years of Soda Bars in the Five n Dimes: Take a "personal" bag of Fritos, slit the front open making a bowl of sorts, add hot chili of your choice, lots of finely grated cheese, some hot sauce and hopefully some sour cream.

I remember the times at my grandmothers work place at Wackers (yea, Wackers) soon to be another name., then further to Woolworths. She made the wonderful Frito Pie that I remember fondly to this day. That, and the Minah bird that said "Shop Wackers!!!" Fond memories.

Frito boats! Used to get them at the Halloween party at school growing up. I barely remember Woolworths. I did eat at the bar a few times, and remember it fondly. :)

I think I was 18 when they closed the local store. I bought them out of their Camel cigarettes. I want to say they were .50¢ a box.

Dang Dwayne old memories. in 72 my father moved our family to Scotland, I was 12. He was working on his Phd at New College in Edinburgh. He wasn't sure how much he liked it there so we were only in Edinburgh a few weeks. Eventually we moved up to St Andrews where he continued his work. Anyhoo we were living in a motel/B&B for about 3 weeks. When we got tired of tiddlywinks (literally) my mom would take my brothers and I down to the Woolworths on Princess St. We'd eat at the counter for like 5 pence a piece. Then we'd just shop without buying anything really. I can remember buying a few books for about 15 pence each but thats about it. Got hooked on Stevenson there. My mom bought a pair of boots cause her feet were so cold. Little climate change from Fresno Co, California in January to Scotland in January. Well ok a whole bunch. The old Woolworths down in Bakersfield is a pretty cool antique mall now.

Back