Another "custom" (?) on eBay...

jbravo

Gold Member
I don't want to throw cold water on anyone unnecessarily, but something doesn't compute here. Extreme Outfitters are great guys, and can be seen at www.tacticaledge.com
They are offering this Emerson production knife at $150, numbered, 200 pieces only, and as an exclusive. Habitues of this forum, ie, the Usual Suspects, remember that much from Derek's post last month directing our attention to it.

Not at $600! So it would appear that someone is being loose with the facts: even Col. Klink would be able to figure out who introduced the $600 figure into this sales effort.

The guy on ebay obviously purchased #5 of this halfbreed and is now trying to get what he paid for it plus some premium. I don't know what the poor guy paid, since the site carrying these didn't post a selling price on these. (As with another site recently, this practice of posting a knife without a price is an unseemly trend that speaks volumes about its practitioners.) Even if the blade is handground - a difficult thing to verify given the circumstances involved - these crossbreeds are hard to value at these levels. AND, I'm not even going to address the bastardization question this raises regarding what is an Emerson custom, a custom/production, a production/custom, a SpecWar logoed knife, an EKI logoed knife, a dated logoed limited production custom semi-special.....

[This message has been edited by jbravo (edited 06-16-2000).]

JBravo's right. Actually I was a little confused when I saw AZ Knives advertising the SOKFK, mentioning that the remaining 200 knives were only available to servicemen at $600 a pop. I ordered one from Extreme Outfitters early on when they first became available. These guys got the 200 knives and were selling all of them. BTW the SOCFKs at their site are limited edition production knives not customs so maybe that's the reason for the lofty price tag on the first 10 pieces.

------------------
Usual Suspect
http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/arkhamdrifter/index.html

I guess the hybridization is fine and as with all things will be valued by the marketplace. For me, however, it raises the value on the "pure" customs. Thus the concept of Emerson "classics" enters the vocabulary. "Classics" being those customs featured in the catalogs previously printed in this forum. New "classics" can surely be ground but to my taste, secondary bevels, Specwar logos with factory handles, etc. just aint like the old days.

------------------
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Buyer Beware. Know what your getting, before you buy.

Steve from Extreme Outfitters was at the Blade Show taking orders. Orders were limited to two knives per person, at $150 each. I was told that the knives would be ready in two or three weeks from the show.

In addition to the two hundred tanto style bladed SOCFK-1A models, Steve said that there would also be an additional one hundred spear points (SOCFK-1B I think he called it). All will be serialized. The Spear pointed prototype is third from the left in this picture.

Did the SOCFK series actually sell to military personnel for $600? I don't know, but I doubt it. Sounds like marketing hype.

Is it hand ground? Again, I don't know. Even the prototype at the show were EKI marked. However the prototypes were satin finished and "Prototype" marked. I'm told that all of the production SOFCKs are to be Black-T.

Before I bought, I'd call and talk to Steve, Derek, Mary or Ernie.

John

FYI . . . I PORed Arizona Custom Knives . . . $800

View

[This message has been edited by John Hollister (edited 06-15-2000).]

I emailed the guy about it and he said that he bought it from Ernie at the Blade Show and paid 600 for it.As a side, the semi-custom damascus bladed mach's went for $1200.

------------------
Carpe' Diem
Usual Suspect AKA Tattoo

I don't know what the SPFCKs sold for at the show, but the Specwar marked Damascus Mach1s and CQC7Bs sold at the show for $800.

John

[This message has been edited by John Hollister (edited 06-16-2000).]

There are a number of issues here. I do not have time to address them now as I must be going off to work. I will try to clear this issue up this evening.

Take care,
Dreek

------------------
Emersonknives.com

The #1 Hard Use Knives In The World

DrRMJ,

Yes, that's what I've been told they are.

------------------
Usual Suspect
http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/arkhamdrifter/index.html

Back