Another knife by newbie

I finished this knife up last weekend. Thought I'd post it here to get opinions.

wenge.jpg

4-3/4" blade of 1095 carbon steel, horizontal satin by hand rubbing.
Wenge exotic wood scales with palm swells, four stainless steel pins, and a stainless steel thong hole liner.

Nice looking knife.The finish looks very smooth and even.Just to be curious how long have you been making?

Wowsers Eric, that is fantastic!!!! You have come so far in no time at all! Outstanding!

Mr. Kendrick,
Thanks for the compliment. I started experimenting with making knives since about June or July I think. Got a decent grinder around August or September, and finally got a drill press in December. BTW, the knife you posted in general discussion looks like a great knife!

Thanks for the kind words, Mike and Keith.

Take care,
Eric

Thanks for checking out my pics.It sounds like you've come a long way in a reslly short time.Did you do the heat treat yourself?The 1095 was also a good choice.It is all I could afford when I first started making knives,and if you have any questions about it feel free to e-mail me.

Great job Eric! Nice and clean (great shoulders from here too).
I wish you could see the smile on my face ... very happy for you.

Very nice, Eric. I know I should have gotten one of those early Changbenzas when I had a chance. ;)

I love the smooth lines on the knife. The ricasso accentuates the the blade quite well. Good job! Keep 'em coming.

Sean, I've been using 1095 for the past 8 knives or so, and I think its a good carbon steel for a low price, but I'll probably be switching to 440C or ATS-34 soon. I sent the knives out to be heat treated by a friend, because I do not yet have refractory material needed to heat treat my own knives. In a month or so, I should be ready to heat treat some of my own carbon steel knives, but will probably still send some of them out (mostly larger ones that my MAPP torch cannot do).

Guys, thanks for the comments. Very encouraging for a newbie such as myself. I'm surprised people still remember the days of cardboard. I will soon make a "limited edition" cardboard knife, just for old times sake probably. It will have Changmascus scales that have been sitting in my room for about a year. :D

Back