Another new ZT Blade debut...

Hi all,

I've been a proud lurker for the past two years. But after seeing a few photo of this blade, I just had to come out of my cave and make a post here.

I am the proud owner of 3 benchmade folders and 1 cold steel folder. I really want to get this fine looking blade as my first ZT knife. I hope that there will be more information regarding this blade in the next few days!

Also, nice to meet you all!

It's perfect, IMO. It'll still allow me to carry something stylish when I've got a suit on, too!

Steel is Carpenter's Micro-Melt Maxamet... RC 68-69

Man, I hope you guys don't create a blip in the warp of reality trying to make knife sized items with this stuff. I thought they were not even rolling this steel any more.

And people thought S125V was too much of a PITA. I'll believe it when i see it. :)

Good luck Thomas!

Joe

Man, I hope you guys don't create a blip in the warp of reality trying to make knife sized items with this stuff. I thought they were not even rolling this steel any more.

And people thought S125V was too much of a PITA. I'll believe it when i see it. :)

Good luck Thomas!

Joe

Maybe they have Farid working his magic on it :)

I was impressed with last years offerings, but these designs are calling to me. I am immediately going to begin setting money aside. Amazing really.

Wonderful knives. Big folders have always been what I love best.

The only problem is it takes so long from when they are dangled in front of our drooling faces until we can actually buy them... when can I get my hands on a 0777 let alone this newly announced one. Dang!

Man that is so true, it'll probably be a year at least before it gets in our hands....torture

Maybe they have Farid working his magic on it

Though plenty capable of doing anything asked of them they just might wish it was somebody else hogging steel off these pieces, finishing and final sharpening them. My guess is that like the other platforms breaking new materials out into the wild they will composite it like the 0777. This stuff is 35-36 percent carbides or something like that that would be not even possible to make if not for the powder process.

I don't even know of any custom knifemakers using this steel. There was a guy in Germany? I'm not sure about Farid, though I admit he fears no steel. :)

Even for Thomas W. this one is over the top though. I'd never have guessed it due to the problems working it, beginning with acquiring it and moving on from there.

Saying "groundbreaking" seems kind of lame. :eek:

Joe

Though plenty capable of doing anything asked of them they just might wish it was somebody else hogging steel off these pieces, finishing and final sharpening them. My guess is that like the other platforms breaking new materials out into the wild they will composite it like the 0777. This stuff is 35-36 percent carbides or something like that that would be not even possible to make if not for the powder process.

I don't even know of any custom knifemakers using this steel. There was a guy in Germany? I'm not sure about Farid, though I admit he fears no steel. :)

Even for Thomas W. this one is over the top though. I'd never have guessed it due to the problems working it, beginning with acquiring it and moving on from there.

Joe

I thought the bevels were CNC ground? Maybe they just got bigger, harder, stronger robots to do the job?

IMO more likely they're just accounting for machine and belt wear in the price of the blade. Ceramic belts are only about $10 each, even if they only get one blade per belt that's not a horrible increase in price (as long as you're not aiming for a street price under $100).

Joe
I believe we can do it...

The 0888 is an amazing knife, has some heft to it. I really can't wait to see what the Maxamet will be like to use.

Here's a teaser, I spent a little time shooting the Award Winning 0888 at the Kai booth.
I'll try and post the rest of the stuff I shot when I get home.

0888.jpg

Back