Another Obenauf

Mike does it again.

modified wharncliffe blade
O-1 steel
black & blue G-10

not sure what model to call it, but, it's serial number #1 :D
after finding out he was going to number mine, i sorta wished i had ordered it with 'trendy' materials instead of 'using' materials, but after getting it, i dont think i could've liked it any better than the way it is.

Kit makes a simular/same style that he calls model #21, and, i instantly fell in love with it the moment i saw one.

notice also, no clip or clip holes.
as an added: would be nice if my scan could do the knife justice, it is absolutely stunning.

Well lookee there!

Nice! Maybe this will be Mike's "Model 4"? Did you happen to see cpirtle's Model 3? That's a really nice design as well.

Very cool indeed, and NO picture can do justice to Mike's craftsmanship. Anyone looking for an extremely well built and reasonably priced custom should seriously consider going Obenauf.

While we're on the subject, may I introduce my desert tan Small Model 2's new sibling, Small Model 2 green. :D :rolleyes:

Firebat

Attachments

• obie2scan2.jpg
    obie2scan2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 252
ok, after having a brief conversation with Phil on chat tonite, i think this knife maybe is still considered a model #3 (based on the shape of the handle). only it has been fitted with Kits #21 style blade. whether it is its own model or not doesnt matter to me, i am thrilled to have it, and i still think this blade shape is Kits best kept secret.

Dexter, that one is very nice indeed, yours too Firebat.

regards,
bill o.

...Mike seems to have a growing list of fans, and i'm glad to now be in that group.

Bill, that is one nice Obenauf. You should not have shown a pic of that wharncliffe blade style, G2 might reconsider his completed collection:D

Seriously, Mike's stuff seems to be very well done. I own two Carsons, and will definitely know need to own one of Mike's due to yours and Pirtle's pics. I gotta save more money:)

Billy, I don't know if that's a Obenauf Model #3, 3A or Model 4?
What I do know is that's one heck of a nice looking knife.

What happened was Billy was looking for his second custom and wanted something with a wharncliff blade. I talked to Kit about it and he said MikeO was coming out with a new model with a modified wharncliff blade and then he sent me this picture.

6759209.jpg

Billy asked me could Mike do one with a Carson Model #21 blade shape, also a modified wharcliff?
I guess Mike could because that's what you see here.

So what would that make this a Obenauf Model #3/Carson #21 ?

Since we're having show and tell I thought I'd trow one up here... :)

Mike makes some awesome stuff, and I love the blade shape of yours oxbubba. If I didn't have 2 more on order from him I'd probably shoot him a note.

Both of the ones I have inbound are special orders but Don told me one of the designs I asked for is going to be incorporated into his regular lineup as well. So you can expect at least one more model to come out in the next month or two, maybe more. So grab yer wallets :D

I have not had as much fun with knives in a long time, Mike is fun to watch develop and I think he has the capability to be one of the best.

Maybe he'll be the "Bill and Ted" of knife making... you'll have to be a product of the 80's to get that one ;)

Chad-

What's that you say? Another new model from Mike? Coooool, can't wait to hear about it.

One of these days you'll have to regale all of us with your tale of examining the innards of an Obie.

Firebat

Chad,

those are really nice. :)

i cant wait to see the new model, and whatever else Mike will soon be making. i dont think just one of Mikes is going to be enough.

regards,
bill o.

Back