Another Sarge except he's a USMC Major and more khukuris for Saddam.

Here's the first email I got from Major Mike:

========================================Gentlemen,

I am the Executive Officer of MWSS 172. Basically we are a Combat Service
Support unit that sets, maintains and defends expeditionary airfields under
austere conditions. We have a Combat Engineer company, a Motor Transport
Company, an Airfield Operations company and a HQ company. Basically a USMC
Bn. structure stuffed into an Air Wing.

We are orientated on three different possible areas. Those that have
personal gear are turning it in to issue to those (junior Marines/Sailors,
IRR members, etc.) who do not have any.

I have built different packs for the different KOAs.

Looking for advice and availability on different models for jungle,
forest/mountainous, and desert.

S/F, Mike
========================================
Looks like there are still a few good officers around. I sent Major Mike 3 khukuris that I felt were best for his purposes inlcluding an 18 inch AK for his personal carry. He's a big guy with a big heart so it'll fit him. I sent these at Crazy Pala prices. I got an email from him this AM and he's sending $500 of his own money to pay for the three and he asked that I use the extra $200 to send some "extras" for his men.

I'm digging into my Heineken fund and I'm sending him and his boys 10 battle worthy (and proven) khukuris tomorrow. If anybody wants to help this fine "my kind" of Marine officer, please do. I'm going to be running on dry for awhile so you can kill two birds with one stone -- or dollar -- if you decide to send something.

Go get'em Major, and God bless you and your boys. You've got my (and I think everybody else on this forum) 110% support.

Please note any contributions "Major Mike fund."

I'd like to send a contribution for these Khuks but you'll have to tell me how I can do it with PayPal.
Thanks,
Warren
(orono)

Warren, just send whatever amount makes you feel good and include a note that it is for Major Mike.

Contribution just sent via PayPal.
Hope it helps a little.
Warren In Marana Arizona
(orono)

Uncle Bill,

Thank you for your support.

We are stationed on Okinawa. For those of you who have been here you know where you know where our primary focus is aimed.

Having said that we have a total of four different missions in four different locations that we may deploy to with three being strong possibilities. Add to that we send out detachments to augment other services in areas they do not have personnel or detachments that are trained across as broad an area. In other words we have detachments from islands to our South, to the Stans, and SWA.

I was not trying to solicit donations but I will figure a way to pass, may have to call it issue, the gifts in such a manner that we don't offend the local SOFA. let the Marines work with them before deploying. I don't think we'll be able to incorporate them into MCMAP anytime soon but I may pass one to our MCMAP instructors and see what they come up with for a curriculum.

S/F, Mike

Great to see you here, Mike. I'm deeply honored to have guys like you and Sarge show up.

Your ten khukuris are packed and will fly tomorrow. I'm emailing you handouts that Sarge printed up for his boys. My advice is do the same -- print and handout. Might save a couple of self inflicted injuries.

Originally posted by FOG
Uncle Bill,

Thank you for your support.

I was not trying to solicit donations but I will figure a way to pass, may have to call it issue, the gifts in such a manner that we don't offend the local SOFA.

let the Marines work with them before deploying.
I don't think we'll be able to incorporate them into MCMAP anytime soon but I may pass one to our MCMAP instructors and see what they come up with for a curriculum.

S/F, Mike

Welcome to Cantina Mike.:D And Thank You for serving our country!!!!

Were you an enlisted man before you got your rank? Sure sound like it from the finagleing you're thinking of doing.;)
Good on you!!!!!!!:D:D :cool:

Sorry, I've been misposting to the wrong thread TWICE today, and I can't even remember the last time I did that.

Major, I retired in 78 and I would gladly go with you if they wouldn't laugh at us older folks. I do have one way I can help you just a bit.

I can't afford to spend any more money for a couple of weeks but if you can give me a valid FPO Address I have a very good BAS that I could send you. It has been used enough that I am sure it would not fail when needed. It would be my honor to send it too you.:)

Well spoken, Pappy.

As mentioned, I can do the same job today I did 50 years ago only better but nobody believes this except me.

Welcome to the Cantina Fog, it's an honor and a pleasure to have you aboard sir. Let me warn you though, not about khukuris, it's too late for that, once you get your hands on that AK you'll be hopelessly hooked. Nope, I need to warn you about the guys on this forum. They'll teach you a lot, make you laugh pretty regular, but that ain't all, and you can trust me on this, I speak from experience. They will humble you. With the depth of their wisdom, the openness of their hearts, and the sincerity of their goodwill, they will humble you. It ain't such a bad thing, just don't let your men catch you wiping at your eyes when it happens, and it will happen.

Once again, welcome aboard, and good luck to you and your men.

Sarge

You sure do get down right eligant with the word slinging once in a while. Take it easy I'm just pulling your leg a bit. How long is that new toy you have? I missed that thread somehow. That or I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was reading.

Fog, forgive my uncouth manners. I should have welcomed you to the Cantina first off. Always glad to be able to contact an active duty Marine. Welcome I'm sure that you will find some pretty good folks on this forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. :) :D

Gentlemen,

I am overwhelmed at the responses. I was not soliciting extras.

Over here in Japan the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) limits knives, bayonets, and edged weapons. They must be held in the armory. Machetes are considered gardening implements and that is what I think the Kukris are for, most definitely not weapons ;) .

I 1st joined the Marine Corps in 1980 after a year in college playing defensive end. I was medically discharged in 1983 w/25% disability (shattered ankle bone, leg broke in three places, and some ligament damage) and Bethesda giving me a 10% chance of walking normally again.

After a year I started back PT’ing with some pain. 1986 while walking across campus a Marine Capt. yelled at me “Hey do you want to fly airplanes for the Marines?”. I took the test that Saturday. Went to OCS after graduation and flight school.

I spent right at 21 months in CONUS in the 90s while being PCS overseas for approx. 3.5 years. I left active duty in 99. I was invited back with a regular commission 01, taking a more junior date of rank so as stay in a flying squadron. Reported for refresher training end of September and finished October. Arrived Japan the day before Thanksgiving and deployed to OEF missions the following Monday.

Basically the unit I’m attached to had the former CO and XO leave the island w/in a day of each other last summer, I was given one days notice to come on over here. I was not expecting this and am untrained in CSS. I had been able to stay FMF or going to school. Lots to learn! Previous experience is in aviation grunt and attached to sister service (non-aviation) units.

I am still a little uncomfortable and humbled by the response. Without violating OPSEC we are in receipt of multiple planning orders. Personally I would like to finish the P.I mission, we can do that one help the Philipinos while letting them keep their dignity.

Pappy I rec’d your email. I will respond directly to you with the FPO AP. Please indicate which preference you have in whom it should go towards, we different CSS MOSs.

A little while ago (about 15 yrs.) we had bought some bowie style knives that were supposed to be the latest and greatest, neoprene coffin handles, flat chromed 425 ss, etc. The short version was they didn’t last as long as the Kabars, edge chipping on comm. wire, handles melting w/DEET. Replaced w/ cheap Indian Kukris w/o and edge. Good practice for the young Marines putting edges on by hand! Wore them edge up small of the back under the butt pack w/blacked out shiny metal.

I have more admin stuff to do. FitReps to push so Marines can stay in, career fixing w/stop loss/move, etc. MGySgt. from EOD says I owe the EOD Marines a case of beer for missing the last shoot. I’ll gladly pay when I get a chance to blow something up.

S/F, Mike

Pappy, my new "toy" is a Ghopte Balance khukuri. It's only 14" long, but it's 14" of hissing tomcat.:eek: I'm going to try it out in the woods come Thursday when I'm out on the training ranges giving some National Guard guys advanced land navigation training. Gotta do something to fill the time while we wait for the green light to go. I ain't a newbie, but I'm sure new to getting all spun up, 100% ready to go, only to be told "cool down, take it easy, wait and see, maybe next week, maybe the week after". That's been going on for weeks now, and it's aggravating as all get out. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no kind of hurry to go drop bombs on people, I'd be happier if we didn't have to. It's just that staying wound up tight as a watchspring grinds on a fellow after a while.

Sarge

It's just that staying wound up tight as a watchspring grinds on a fellow after a while.

Sarge

That it does, that it does, my friend. Find some ways to take some pressure off. Hang in! Been there, unfortunately. DAG

Sir: I know where of you speak. I can remember being wound up tight enough that when the word came that I wouldn't be moving for another month that it felt like about ten tons lifted off my shoulders. That night I think the first beer went down in about 3 maybe 4 seconds.

I am going to have to make a frog for this BAS pretty quick this military frog will not make it. The metal rivits are starting to rust already and it hasn't been out in the bad weather. I am thinking of making it out of some vinyl from some old Saddle bags. It should last longer that the Military frog. It's that or rawhide. :)

Major, there may be some things coming your way (or you going their way) in the not too distant future.

Doug MacArthur was right and the politcians were wrong.

Back