• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Antique Rag Micarta

Largest slices I've sold publicly, of my genuine antique rag micarta. This is 50-60s vintage material.

These are from a piece similar to the knife shown below, but with lots more greens. Very dense, homogeneous material, and one of the easiest to finish of the colors I've got. Recommend hand sanding above sharp 220/400 grit, unless you want the material to get significantly darker. It will also darken over time, as all the legit old westinghouse material does.

These pieces are saw cut, nicely parallel, over 0.160" thick, and will take very little to flatten the backside for glue up.

Larger piece is 4.75" diameter usable, and the smaller one is 4.5" diameter usable. As you can see from the photo, you can easily get 2 sets of shadow pattern slipjoint scales from the smaller piece. The larger piece could yield 3 with careful layout, or 3 with bolsters easily, maybe 4 sets. This material has no real grain orientation to worry about so layout as best to avoid waste.

First photo shows them wet with alcohol a bit to show the color, but it's richer than it appears in the shot, looks better once it's sanded for sure.

ALL SOLD

rag1.jpg
rag2.jpg
IMAG0224.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like this is sold to Evan. I can cut you some though Tim.

Great stuff!

Back