Anvil Ring/Ping is a thing of the past! The "Dunce Cap" Ring Suppressor...

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
Ladies and Genitalmen... I present to you a modern marvel of Iron-age technology!

The "Dunce Cap" by Wildertools... by Rick Marchand. (These are not really for sale... make your own damn cap, lazy!)

Yeah... it is basically just a scrap-leather cone that fits over the horn of your anvil. In my experience it is THE BEST way to quiet anvil ring without the need for chains and or magnets. Simple fix. Need to use the horn?... take it off, dummy.

Watch this video to see it in action! AMAZING!

[YOUTUBE]7WI0fXY4vV0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Leave it up to you to come up with a dunce cap:D;)

Unfortunately, you don't get the same result with a heel cap. Apparently, the horn is the culprit behind the ringing. If you worked the horn a lot, the dunce cap would be of little benefit.

Are your anvils bedded in silicone caulk and still ringing that loud pre-cap? Or do you have time simply tied down to the stumps?

I couldn't tell any significant difference in bedding anvils on silicone, rubber or leather. The worst high-frequency ringing comes from the horn.

Are you a wizard?

Of the 13th level... which sounds impressive if you are unaware that there are 777 levels.:grumpy:

I have shown many blacksmiths and knifemakers around this area the Dunce Cap. I love the look on their face when I pinch the anvil horn between my thumb and finger and the ring disappears. I had a 4th generation Master Blacksmith slap me on the back so hard that I peed a bit. Still don't know if he was happy or pissed that a nobody hammer thrower pointed out something so simple.

Anyway, I wish it was something I could market and sell... but the fact remains that they are simple to make/improvise and anvil horns vary in geometry so much.

Saw the first pic and thought "why does he have a leather moose call sitting on the anvil".

Thanks for the shop tip Rick!

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep using a magnet. We're Catholic and can't use those things. [emoji1]

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep using a magnet. We're Catholic and can't use those things. [emoji1]

Hmmm... maybe try abstaining from the final few blows? It's a rough finish but a cleaner outcome.

Ha ha. That what they say but there's many a person out there whose proof that it's not so easy in practice.

My anvil is a 150lb vulcan thats not so loud but anything to help keep the noise down is a plus. I'm usually wearing earplugs or headphones in the shop anyway but that doesn't help keep the neighbors happy and when its hot in florida I like to keep the garage door up. It's such a simple idea and I have a bunch of scrap leather laying around I'll give it a try. I'm assuming the ren-fair look is optional or is that part of the magic? :) Thanks.

I used to tie a shop rag around my horn and you are right it really takes the ring out. This method is a little more refined lol.

Back