Any experiences with the CRKT S-2?

Well, the subject says it all. Any comments welcome! A full review would be even better of course.

I have the smallest one. It's a very nice little knife, no complaints at all!

Steve-O

I bought a small a few months ago when I was trying to decide if I should spend the cash for a CRK Umfaan.

I'm very impessed with the quality of this knife. The handles have an even finish, the edges have been chamfered. The grooves in the handle are clean and smooth.

The blade is centered well in the handle and the grinds are good, There is on slight uneveness at the very heel of the blade possibly due to the serration machine. ( I got the combo edge blade. )

The lock is solid, no play, I have noticed that the lockup area, that is the interface between the frame and the blade could be larger, but I have no eveidence that it matters.

This is among the sharpest knives I own. The bevel is pulled back pretty far so it's a good slicer.

It's pretty light in weight, and the pocket clip holds well on jeans and thinner slacks. It probably won't accomodate thicker types of clothing. But remember this is a small knife.

The point of the blade pierces very well. The thumb stud was a little sharp on the thumb but a 20 seconds with some very fine sand paper and that was fixed.

Edge holding has been fine, I don't use my knives very heavily though.

I think it's a great knife, there's been a lot of noise about the Camillus EDC, but for the same or less amount you can get the S2.

Psst, don't tell anyone, I don't feel like I need a CRK Umfaan that badly anymore.

DaveH

Thanks for the review!!

Sounds like one of my next knifes
smile.gif

One more question though: is it possible to change the thumbstud to the other side? (I'm a southpaw)

On mine the thumb stud projects equally on both sides of the blade.
smile.gif

No worries for lefties.

DaveH

In case anyone with the largest of the S-2s can share experience, I would appreciate that too. Have been "collecting" CRKTs to a degree, but have always felt the S-2 to be too expensive for me. Then, recently got a large and medium Apache, and truly like them, and now want S-2 any more.

Thanks for the info already posted.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

I have medium one (large is discontinued about two years ago). This is probably one of the less expensive and the most cost efficient folders built of such premium materials: titanium frame and ATS-34 blade. Frame lock provides strong and secure lockup, basically it's the same locking mechanism as on BENCHMADE Pinnacle, Darrel Ralph's Apogee and Chris Reeve's Sebenza. Elegant silver-gray "frost" finish, I like it a lot. Comfortable handle, pocket clip almost doesn't affect handling comfort. Ambidextrous opening stud. Very decent fit and finish, I didn't found any quality issue.

The only complaint - it might have a small bit longer blade as for this handle's size, SPYDERCO Delica for comparison has about 5 mm longer blade in the similarly sized handle.

It makes nice daily carry if you consider this size enough for your needs. Very decent look, it is no shame to draw it in "decent community".

Bugs3x,

I don't own the large S-2, but I have handled one...it's huge! You could get $99 just for recycling the Ti.
smile.gif
I don't own any large knives but I enjoy my small S-2. It must have been a good day at the heat treating facility because my S-2 is scary sharp - better than any other ATS-34 knife I own (I have 12 others).

I also have a small Apache, another good value.
smile.gif

Steve-O

Back