Any love for the moose?

Badger28

Gold Member
Having gotten my first moose pattern, I’m pretty excited about it’s utility. What do you guys think? What do you have? Seems like a less common pattern these days, but so much utility! And just plain cool. Why the lack of attention? Anyone have any history on the pattern? Why’s it a moose?

Can’t complete your Nessmuk trio without a moose!
I’m a big fan of the two big blades on opposite ends. Though, with current trends, two full sized blades seem to discourage many who have been moving towards single blade traditionals.

Last edited:
A moose was the pattern used for the 2010 forum knife.

19442233134_70b9eab6e1_c.jpg

Last edited:
It is one of the best patterns, and GEC is overdue to make more!

A moose and a pig walk into a bar…….

A lady goes into a bar with her moose. Then the bartender comes up to her and says, “Why did you have to bring the pig in with you?”

Then the lady answered, “Excuse me, I think this is a moose.”

And the bartender says, “Excuse me, I was talking to the moose.”

D36FEE5F-7403-4350-ACD0-BFC3EF28C225.jpeg

It is likely called a Moose because a moose has large antlers on each side of its head, where a knife of the same name will have a full-sized blade on each end of the knife, as opposed to a smaller secondary blade. Two big blades = Two big antlers of the namesake. Compared to a muskrat, which has a slim clip blade on each end for skinning said muskrat animal. Funny how things get named :)

...I'm no knife historian, so I fully expect to be corrected swiftly.

I'm not drawn to Moose pattern because I rarely find myself in a situation where two full-size blades are more versatile than 1 large blade and 1 or more smaller blades for fine detail jobs. If I'm only using large blades, I can carry a single-blade knife and be slimmer in the pocket. I do very much miss my 54 Big Jack that was given as a gift to me, probably more for the sentimental than the functional. Sold it looking for something more functional, now the sentimental is catching up with me.

Last edited:
Here's a Bull Moose with antlers on full display. :D According to Levine's Guide, this pattern was also referred to as a Texas Jack around the turn of the century...

I4aE3i7.jpg

I like the fact that this particular version houses two big blades, but in a relatively narrow and manageable frame.

They are a very attractive stout pattern that I want to like because they're so nice looking, but the deal breaker for me is the two equal size blades.

I like looking at them, they're just not something for me to own and or use.
Same goes for a nicely done 2 blade trapper.

Last edited:
Thanks all. These are awesome. More to hunt for! For whatever unpractical reason I love the two big blades. Especially the ones I’ve seen with a clip and a spear.

Back