Any love for the Ontario Bushcraft Field Knife?

Daniel L

Gold Member
I have one in 5160 that I cerakoted and I'm actually planning to get one in 420 ... I live in mostly wet/humid environment so the 420 is actually a better fit, albeit probably not as tough. I assume better HT than typical kitchen knives too, so should be easy to steel and keep sharp.

I like the Bushcraft Field Knife because it's a 5 inch slicer with 1/8" blade stock and a long handle. The handle needs 10 mins of work to round it out a little (somewhat blocky out of the box) - but the blade excels at food prep and bushcrafty tasks that require cutting, except for hardcore batoning.

Most of my uses are more camp oriented so a 1/8" blade works fine and I generally don't want knives over 5/32". Probably the same reason I prefer the Mora Kansbol instead of the thicker Garberg (no doubt tougher).

Anyone else enjoy the Bushcraft Field Knife? Seems to under appreciated and fly under the radar. I do wish they made a more premium version but then it would compete with their new S35VN Blackbird.

420hc sounds like a good choice for you, and should be plenty tough enough. I have several knives of a similar size and shape, so I can see how it would work nicely in that role. Do you prefer it over the Kansbol?

Kansbol is 4" blade and I really prefer 5" for a camp utility knife. I do enjoy the Kansbol - it's super light and I find the handle very comfortable.
But I do prefer the blade shape and length of the OKC Bushdraft Field knife.

For those that didn't know the Bushcraft Field Knife was designed by Dan Maragni. I think it's a under appreciated classic, even if they made it in 154CM I'd be super happy.

Back