Any of you guys carry the Razor pattern ?

I have had a Case Razor in sunburst bone I have been carrying for a couple of days and I really like it. It works great for opening boxes without tearing up what is inside of the package. Then with the other spear point blade I can poke a hole if I need to. I think it is a great patten, with the handle shape similar to the barlow and blade sizes big enough to get some serious work done. My question is how many of you carry this on a regular basis and if anybody has any history on this pattern by all means chime in.

It is also known as the one handed or one armed man pattern. The slight hook allows the knife to be opened using the seam of the pocket, works very well on some versions that have enough hook. In many modern versions this hook is very shallow however. I have a couple knives in this blade pattern, not all barlows. They are carried in EDC rotation and I do enjoy them greatly.

Fight'n Rooster
frbarlow1.jpg

Ka Bar
ZapSnap_027.png

Argh beat me to it. That knife was the predcessor of the one hand opener. It was used by people who wanted to open their knives with one hand. A really cool knife.

God Bless.

Last edited:
I have a few razor patterns, but I seldom carry them. I did once upon a time, but I found out the hard way that the corner of the blade sticking out like that eats pockets pretty fast. It comes in handy for one-hand opening (catch that corner on a seam, belt, belt loop or pocket and you can pull the blade open) which is what I once read the underlying purpose was, but you almost need to carry it in a belt pouch or slip case to save your pants.

I would add that AG Russell did make the comment that the point was also used as a sort of one tine fork that would of allowed a man to cut and eat with the same utensil. I understand they plan to introduce a gentleman's steak knife of this design for those who want to use a real knife rather than an oversized butter knife in restaurants.

Folk lore is this design evolved out of the War of Northern Aggression (the Civil War for you Yankees) for those thousands of men who lost arms in that conflict.

I bought one of the Orange Curly Zebra Wood razors from Shephard Hills (price was impossible to resist). I like carrying it in the jeans on Fridays and the weekend. A little big and heavy for anything other than jeans.

I agree the good-sized blades are very useful.

My favorite multitool's knife blade is shaped like that (Vic Spirit). It has an awl if I need to poke something.

It comes in handy for one-hand opening (catch that corner on a seam, belt, belt loop or pocket and you can pull the blade open) which is what I once read the underlying purpose was, but you almost need to carry it in a belt pouch or slip case to save your pants.

Thanks. I've always wondered about that feature of the blade. I've also wondered if this blade is or was intended to actually shave. Anyone use it to shave? or know if it is supposed to?

BTW I have an inexpensive Smith and Wesson.

Attachments

• Smith and Wesson.jpg
    Smith and Wesson.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 8
I think you are talking about the one arm jack. That knife was the slipjoints response to the one hand opener. It was used by people who wanted to open their knives with one hand. A really cool knife.

God Bless.
I think you'll find this is a little backward. The "One Hand Jack" is the original "one hand opener", not a response to anything.

It was originally developed and/or popularized after the American Civil War, due to the number of vets who lost limbs in that conflict.

I've got a Boker Razor Barlow which is a real nice knife. Thanks for reminding me; It needs to go into rotation.

-- Sam

Thanks. I've always wondered about that feature of the blade. I've also wondered if this blade is or was intended to actually shave. Anyone use it to shave? or know if it is supposed to?

BTW I have an inexpensive Smith and Wesson.

I suppose it could be sharpened up to shave with, but that would pretty much ruin it for utility use. Edges that thin are not very durable. I've seen a lot of old straight razors with chunks broken out of the edge from people trying to use them as knives (or maybe from dropping them on the sink, who knows).

I suppose it could be sharpened up to shave with, but that would pretty much ruin it for utility use. Edges that thin are not very durable. I've seen a lot of old straight razors with chunks broken out of the edge from people trying to use them as knives (or maybe from dropping them on the sink, who knows).

Judging by mine I don't think that it could be taken down to razor dimensions very easily. It sounds like it probably wasn't intended as a razor, just called razor because of it's general appearance. Was also wondering if it 'evolved' from a razor but have no information to support that.

Today I really worked it out when our truck came in, then again in the kitchen, of course I washed it first. It is really a versatile pattern, I think it is definitely going to be in my EDC rotation quite a bit. It held its edge very well and resharpened easily with a sapphire sharpener and a leather strop. It is really a pleasure to use.

Back