Any yall knappin out there?

Great work. I bet the gentleman from Wyoming will be really happy.
Also if I'd have made something so pretty it would be hard to let go of it. :)

Man that is a nice point and that agate is gorgeous. Looks sharp as heck. Glad you are enjoying that stuff. Im busting through some obsidian now. Yep bandaids are a sure thing. I drove a chip under my fingernail about a week ago and the tip of my finger is dead numb now. That was wasnt fun. That long biface with the eyball on the edge looks like a Dalton in the works:thumbup: Cool little dovetail also. Ill post a few of mine soon. Thanks for posting you work.
Im getting close to being able to get 6:1w/t (width to thin to non knappers) with some consistancy but I sure am breaking a lot of them. oh well ...tis the game.

Yes indeed, That translucence is gorgeous. I can see what you mean by no room for error. That looks positively gorgeous with the light behind it. something that delicate must take a long time with so many of those little tiny chips. But definitely worthwhile when it results in that ending. On the other hand it must just slice your soul a little bit when it crumbles when almost done.

Mr. Weston Sir! That little slab of midnight obsidian is awesome. I had no idea it was so beautiful till I took a flake. WOW! Love that stuff. I had another piece i didnt get much from cause I broke it in the end but this piece made it all worth it. Here is a little biface I made from it at first.

25a68d0c7f19b741ba58d151e67972ee

I finally got it all shaped up and backlit it. Beautiful stuff man! Thanks much. If you ever get any more of that stuff id trade you some rootbeer, pedernales, or maybe even some georgetown when I get some more. Great stuff.

e7dbb65d5ce555dd0aece48079982113

I hit it with a laser shot and check it out! I havent notched it yet but might do that soon. Im making some points now for Atlatl river cane darts. Im doing them with some tougher TX chert tho becuase i want to use them for real.

3440fc77e3bf0aa72e9e35c299c8393b

Lucky man! Thats some cool stuff! Thank you much:thumbup:

Thems some pointy moon rocks you got there Dog! I'm not gonna lie, I was a littleee disappointed when I read that the glowing green stone was due to a laser, and not some fantastic new type of obsidian that I'd never heard of. The midnight obsidian is drop dead gorgeous. I've seen it used in jewelry before, and I would venture to say this is the most attractive use of it I've ever seen. Snowflake obsidian is still my favorite, I think. I'd love to see some points out of that!

Also, atlatls are too cool. That's something I want to get into soon.

Just getting started on a new project and I think yall can see where this is going. Wish me luck!
1edfcb268d0242928faa475916437675

Spine thickness is almost 3/4" and as it is weight is 22 oz.

55814f9e3445837d471acd22b180a65c

I still have plenty of work on it but have the general shape done. If I dont break it ill put a handle on it and find it a deserving home.

28545083d0e6f0912cd5e987cea9c5e2

If I break it maybe ill make a folder:D

Last edited:
The shape reminds me of the HI Bonecutter.
I hope it doesn't break but I'm not gonna lie, a folder got me curios too. :p
Some crazy movie even featured an Obsidian OTF auto knife. :eek:

Not sure if somebody posted this video already, but it looks like this guy knapped out a somewhat khukri-looking tool that he uses to build a hut...

[video=youtube;nCKkHqlx9dE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE[/video]

I think ive seen that somewhere. Very cool hut. Thats definitely Khuk shaped. Looks like its about a ten pound one. That guy looks like hes having way too much fun. We used to build underground "forts" with fireplaces when I was kid. We had some with multiple rooms you could almost stand up in and tunnels connecting them together. We would dig out holes in the walls and line them with aluminum foil and put candles in them to get around.

BTW: I broke it. Guess ll try again. I have a few more pieces of TV glass left so maybe next time?.

I think ive seen that somewhere. Very cool hut. Thats definitely Khuk shaped. Looks like its about a ten pound one. That guy looks like hes having way too much fun. We used to build underground "forts" with fireplaces when I was kid. We had some with multiple rooms you could almost stand up in and tunnels connecting them together. We would dig out holes in the walls and line them with aluminum foil and put candles in them to get around.

BTW: I broke it. Guess ll try again. I have a few more pieces of TV glass left so maybe next time?.
Ndoghouse that sounds too much like what we did too. We grew up near Berlin (Potsdam) in a big apartment complex which was built on the edge of a forest. Nobody played on the playstructures. Everyday was forest time. :)
We also dug out rooms and connected them. The soil there was lose so that it was easy to tip over 12 foot needle trees which we used to cover our trenches and sometimes we simply covered some old bomb craters. Was lots of fun, except for the occasional hornets nest. Once a friend found some old WW2 hand grenade, the one with a stick. Even discovered a bit of silver which some must have hidden before the Russians came.

The video is pretty cool. Definitely a Kukri!! I wish I'd know how long he took for everything. Just making the hut would take me a day at least without any help.

Last edited:
I think he does them a few hours a day over the course of a week or so. Here's one where he makes a hut with a tiled roof. He uses a stone axe rather than a khukri though.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE[/video]

A while back I went to a demonstration of knapping. It was interesting, and towards the end he let a few of us knap a little. I got a few flakes of whatever they call the unwanted exterior stuff from some oil chirt. I think I still have them somewhere.

That was a cool video as well. I bet it took him quite some time to bake all them tiles. It would be nice to have a source for all that good clay as well. I got nothing but beach sand here.

Ndoghouse that sounds too much like what we did too. We grew up near Berlin (Potsdam) in a big apartment complex which was built on the edge of a forest. Nobody played on the playstructures. Everyday was forest time. :)
We also dug out rooms and connected them. The soil there was lose so that it was easy to tip over 12 foot needle trees which we used to cover our trenches and sometimes we simply covered some old bomb craters. Was lots of fun, except for the occasional hornets nest. Once a friend found some old WW2 hand grenade, the one with a stick. Even discovered a bit of silver which some must have hidden before the Russians came.

The video is pretty cool. Definitely a Kukri!! I wish I'd know how long he took for everything. Just making the hut would take me a day at least without any help.

That was good times wasnt it? We all rode dirt bikes so we couldnt carry more than a shovel and a shotgun but that would pretty much take care of everything. The bikes did help to get us deep enough into the woods so we would never get bothered by any people. And no UXO's is always a plus. That cabin looked stout enough to live in for some time. Id be just fine living in it. My wife might not be so happy living with the bugs and stuff but wouldnt bother me to have to pay property taxes on that place:D

Scored a major coup today. There was a Mountain Man Show at the fairgrounds, always wanted to go but never have. Today the whole family went, wicked cool.
Tons of Flintlocks and Percussion rifles, lots of table selling possibles etc, tons of knives of course but the hightlight was in addition to seeing lots of knapped knives and arrow heads, there was a guy actually doing it.
I have never actually seen the tools used or applied. It was cool. He displayed several of what he called his schucks O darnits, where he had a beautiful thing in progress only to break in the middle.

Also and maybe even larger deal for me was a barrel rifling setup similar to what Bookie does. Had it all set up and was actually rifling a barrel. I was at the booth for a long long time. I think the guy appreciated that I appreciated what it took to make the setup and actually make up a barrel. A ton of work, I'll tell you that for sure.
I'd seen Bookies set ups but just could never quite grasp how it actually worked or was applied. I totally got it now.
A power chair would definitely be required running that thing in and out a bajillion times.
I wanted to give it a try myself but they had it set up much too high, it was perfect for a standing up guy, they had a kid, from their group doing it and he struggled a bit as he was not quite tall enough to be at the right angle.

Lots of gorgeous front stuffers I would love to have brought home but alas as usual the stuff that appealed to me was very high end.

Been hankering for a squirrel rifle, maybe a 36 caliber for awhile, probably percussion since I'd probably not be steady enough to wait for a flint ignition.

Did find a cool 62 caliber that sang loudly but I didn't have nearly enough even to ask to hold that one.

A good day for bawanna, learned a lot, got some desires I need to keep down but that's pretty much normal.

I asked if you knew you and he claimed he didn't. He said he did make his own set up. The barrel he was rifling was set up for a progressive twist I guess you'd call it. Started out very slow twist and then got faster toward the muzzle.
He was just in the early stages, I forget what he called what he was doing but said he was almost ready to start cutting.

There was a considerable pile of metal shavings at the muzzle that had been pushed out.

He certainly could have gotten his info from your book but didn't recall the name or something.

I was tempted to buy one of them kits to build a muzzle stuffer but they sure don't give those away anymore. I think the prices were pretty fair but a lot more than I had on me.

Sounds like an awesome time! Id love to have been there. I have several of them broken knives and points from some master knappers. Soon as they break them they throw them down in the pile at their feet and start over. They sometimes give the broken ones to me for study purposes. Some dont want you to have them simply because they dont want their broken art floating around. Thankfully theres very few of them types. Ive got plenty of those schucks O darnits.
Yep that rifling rig is pretty cool in itself! Id love to see that happening. Ill have to get me a muzzle loader kit someday too but I think we have the same color of money Mr B.

Back