Anybody heard from Mohd?

"tick tock" is an expression of forced patience - or "let's wait and see". If I'm wrong, I'll butt out.

Bob, Thanks. I'll look there.

Wal, OK. I can take that as a possible meaning too. I didn't think of it that way, but I'm willing to consider whatever. I'm sure Blues will be happy to tell me if I was wrong. :) And I'll be happy to grovel and apologize further.

Paul

Interesting to see that Mohd posted just twice in the first thread that Blues referred to...

Once to get the ball rolling on police killing a black youth... then once again halfway through to get the flames growing again...

Only two posts out of a two page thread... makes you wonder why he started it if he didn't want to participate... looks more like he wanted to stir up emotions. Neither post offered any contribution, only a link to some site that quoted a press story.

I don't mind a good debate about something... but if you start it... you damn well need to hang around to participate.

I think Blues has a very valid point.

The following is quoted from the thread (links provided above) from which I received the information about "acting blur":

SYK
Basic Member

Mohd, jangan tension
I live in Singapore, 4 hours car drive from Mohd in KL.

KL is all cabled up and the chances are Mohd has CNN and CNBC going directly into his house. So he should be bombarded with the "US version" of events everyday, along with the latest "Ally McBeal" and "Friends".

So he has no reason not to at least know your version of the story.

Mohd, if you are really confused, I apologize to you.

But muslims are a proud and intelligent people, so I think your behaviour here is somewhat incongrous. Perhaps you are trying to play mental games with the americans, eh? If this is so, this is not very nice after they have suffered this tragedy.

In KL and Singapore, there is a certain local attitude: you act stupid to irritate those you dislike. This is called "acting blur" and IMO, this is what Mohd is doing to you americans.

If Mohd is doing this, then I say to him:

You are TOOOO excited...relax sikit brother, jangan tension, balek home, mandi....tengok TV, watch Osama mati....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-22-2001 06:13 PM

Ken Cox

Something about what Syk posted makes a lot of sense.

Mohd?

Luke 22:36, John 18:6-11, Freedom
If one takes care of the means, the end will take care of itself.
There is more that dances on the prairies than the wind.

09-22-2001 07:32 PM

Esav Benyamin
Gold Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a certain local attitude: you act stupid to irritate those you dislike. This is called "acting blur"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I like that phrase, "acting blur". I think it's what I used to describe as "constructive stupidity" -- endemic in government work.

09-23-2001 12:49 AM

Triton
Basic Member

I would say at this point that the evidence seems to be piling up that we have one of two possiblilities:

1) Mohd is a complete dolt. (unlikely)
2) Mohd was being deceptive and spreading propoganda.

It appears that the folks here are on to him though.

09-23-2001 01:10 AM

Athanatos
Basic Member

Well, that would amount to arguing over which sort of dolt he might be, in that this would have been a doltish way of propagandizing.

If I read SYK properly, then he's suggesting that mohd dumped a load of passive-aggression on us. Even if that's not what SYK meant, it seems the best explanation to me.

Perhaps someone was just doing his own pathetic part in the attack on America

One is a quote from an old Bob Dylan song:

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

And the other is that experience has taught me not to get very philosophical about the intent of someone who has a muzzle pointing in your direction with their finger on the trigger.

My thoughts for the day.

Blue,

We asked for it and we got it - A load of BS from someone who is obviously being less than straight foward.

I recall that we have had this one sided discussion with Modh before. The guy likes to TROLL.

Good-bye Modh, you know where you can put your stuff.

n2s

One thing that everyone should know is that I emailed Mohd to ask him to read my second post. That post urges him to find someone who speaks good english and translate what I said. Its possible he is doing just that, and hopefully he does it with all of the well thought out (yet very complex, if english is your second language) posts that followed.

I don't know Mohd half as well as most of you, but I get the feeling that one of two things is going on:

1) Mohd's english is very poor. I think this is the case. Even before this, he frequently misunderstood things in our posts, and more than likely simultaneously, misstated his own views without understanding.
If this is the case, we may never(unless his English gets better) be able to communicate well enough to clear things up:(

2)He does understand, and Blues is 100% right. I am on the fence about this one, but I hope that it isn't true.

I also confess that I did not read through all of Mohd's links that

he posted, nor did I read the political forum posts that Yvsa defended him in. So, if I am being misled into standing up for him its my mistake.

For now I'll hang in there and wait for a reply....

Of coure if the answer to Uncle Bills question is not an emphatic "hell no, I'd never let that happen" then all bets are off!

And I respect your standing up for both Mohd and your principles.

On the other hand I fear that your own tag line may say it best:

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes"

Marcel Proust.

Blues,

If by that you mean that I need to be less naive about Mohd---well you may be right:(

If that's not what you mean, then please explain.

I simply meant that things aren't always what they seem and that sometimes we have to begin seeing things (and people) in new ways, even the things (and people) that have been before us for some time.

Absolutely no insult or chide intended. I just thought it a very apropos remark.

Then again, having tried reading Proust and giving up after a couple hundred pages, perhaps he isn't the best one for me to use by way of illustration. ;)

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Still waiting.

After wading through tons of pure unadulterated bull$hite today in research I have a feeling that it's gonna be a long wait.

And for those who would presume to think what I may be feeling or why, I can only say that if you don't understand that a true warrior can do what is needed doing and be able to leave it on the field of death, no matter how much torture may have been committed there, and not carry any baggage away from what actions he committed there, cannot begin to understand my mind or thoughts.
It may be well to remember that what I learned was from the Yonegi, the non-ndn, and that I truly am a human being from a completely different culture and that I do not come under the same auspices that the average man does.

Even though some would describe an ndn family as a man, his wife, two kids, a dog and an anthropologist it isn't true that what the anthropologist thinks he has observed and knows is the real truth.

Pakcik Bill.

Sorry to make you all waiting - a bit tied with the office work - I don't have PC at home - while I am coding this very posting it is about 7:00pm Malaysian time - tired with all office work & my wife waiting for me to go home. Anyhow I manage to go into bladeforums & just scan through the whole posting.

Pakcik Bill ask me a very good question - my answer is: If Pakcik Bill is the guest in my house - and suddenly a group of terrorists wants to kill you - my answer is only one ... insyaa-Allaah! As long as I am alive you are under my protection ... they have to fight me ... either they have to disable me or to kill me first before they reach you. Everybody has no choice but has to face death - I prefer the death with honour!

Dear forumites - If I were in one of your house as your guest - are you going to protect me as well?

Blues.

All this while you think that I don't have my stand - please - you are wrong here! May be you can ask Redvenom on the stand of Dr Mahathir Muhammad Malaysian PM - exactly that's my stand. I am against terrorism - whoever they are! As far as the American action attacking Afghanistan - I am not agree - even most of my country fellow from different races & religions also have the same view with me.

I mentioned few times that I am confuse - Yes I am - My confusion is on the whole situation - but I am not confuse on my stand. I guess this will clear your misunderstanding.

Few forumites accused me as a propagandist with certain agenda - see - I am not a politician - I just bring up my view according to my belief & my perception. It's up to everybody either to believe me or not - that I don't have any agenda.

Many forumites sutggested that I should read CNN and other western sources - I have done that! The only thing is how reliable the story in CNN, BBC etc? Is there anybody that can confirm 100% that CNN & BBC doesn't carry any agenda? Is there anybody can assure 100% that all those news & reports are truth?

Yvsa - I didn't go to Political Forums because I don't think that my words carry weight there any longer - I have the feeling that my present there will only heat up the hatred towards Muslim - so I guess it is wiser for me to just shy away from that forums. I might be wrong in my dicision ... but at least I don't have to face all the shooting!

Pakcik Bill - My present in bladeforums is not to hurt you or anybody - all this while my intention is just to talk about knives & khukuri - but it seems the situation suddently drag me to talk about politic and everything which is actually not of my interest - anyhow I try my best to view my opinion for the sake of truth & huminity. Still I am a very human - I have weakness - and I might be wrong somewhere ... sometimes.

Ok - I have to go home now - my wife already restless waiting for me! Insyaa-Allaah I'll try my best to go through all your posting tomorrow ... if ever there is tomorrow for me!

Mohd,

I am reading your words but I can't say that I feel convinced. Perhaps what you are saying is true. I hope it is. On the other hand, it will take more than those words to convince me at this point. (Not that there is any obligation on your part to do so. None at all.)

However, I wish you well whether or not I trust your words. As long as you are not an enemy of my nation, my friends and my family I bear you no ill will and wish you peace.

Since I can think of nothing more on my part to further this discussion I will let it end at that and let others speak for themselves should they choose to.

Added some minutes later for clarity:

Mohd,

In my ordinary day to day dealings in the world of men and women I am more than happy to take someone at their word and trust (and act upon) their word until that person gives me reason not to.

In this instance I find the situation somewhat different. I am reacting to a pattern of behavior on your part which is all I have to make my judgement. (You notice I did not participate in this thread, nor the others, until I read your recent reply which left a bad taste in my mouth.)

Further, I am entrusted in my daily work with the security and defense of the United States from enemies foreign and domestic. That means that I bear responsibility for acting like a watchdog for the citizens and residents of the United States, and that includes my friends and extended family here at Uncle Bill's Cantina. If I were not to be suspicious and vigilant I would be letting down these good people that have entrusted me with this task. Frankly, it's a privilege for me, even after 24 years of federal service. So, understand that it is all the more difficult for me to be convinced (at this juncture) by mere words when my nation finds itself locked in a battle with forces who have already proven themselves to be less than honorable and trustworthy.

I hope that this will help clarify my perspective on the matter for both Mohd and anyone else who may care to understand my point of view.

To trust when the trust may be betrayed, or to be open when immediate security is better served by being closed, are not necessarily marks of the fool.

We are facing similar choices in both politics and our personal lives. It is a time to think carefully about what we gain versus the qualities in ourselves we are prepared to give up.

We may be tempted to give up some of our civil liberties to attempt to ensure domestic security. It may make us less of a nation.

I may be tempted give up some of my tolerance, trust, or willingness to try to understand others, and it may make me less of a man.

Very, very well put. Howard, your post expresses exactly how I feel. Yet better than I could have ever said it.

I too am torn between protecting my family, myself, my country, and yet trying not to become like the very people who are threatening us. I want to trust Mohd and other Muslims, yet I am afraid. The people who did this did not run around rattling scimitars with turbans on their head and an evil look on their face. Instead they lived amoung us, peacefully. and blended in--pretending to like us, and to be like us. It is hard not to be suspiscious of any "middle eastern" looking person that I see. If this makes anyone think less of me than so be it. I don't advocate treating these people any differently, but if I'm not supposed to be nervous when they are around---well forget it.

If americans (or white americans who are more easily identifiable in a country of non-whites) had blown up 2 major buildings full of muslims, you can bet your ass that they would be looking at us differently--at the least. I suspect that we would be rounded up and deported, or imprisoned, or worse--if street mobs were in charge. Would it be right--hell no! Would we deserve their fear and mistrust, well yes. It is a shame that the old adage about "one bad apple" turns out to be true. ITs also a shame that this fear and mistrust go hand in hand with terrorism, and it is truly horrible because THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT OSAMA BIN LADEN WANTED. He knew that it would drive a wedge between Muslims and non-muslims--it was no accident! Everything he does is painstakingly planned out.

So even though I know that some people may read this and post about how we are supposed to rise above such petty thoughts and concerns, I am posting what I truly feel anyway. To hell with political correctness, its usually a bunch of lies that people say to avoid criticism anyway.:mad: Those of you who know me, know the kind of person I am, so I'm not worried about speaking my mind here.

Back