Anybody know of a good driver for Wiha double-ended bits?

Macchina

Gold Member
I have a set of these and one deep 1/4" hex extension that fits them well. I have not been able to find any other bit drivers that are deep enough to really retain these.
Anybody know of a super compact bit driver that is deeper than normal?

Wiha 77780 Set, darn near perfect:
4e2db87b1b0004bc159e9f02b3deadadf919be28__04238.1614481518.jpg

CountyComm used to have these little plastic hex fittings that could go on the end of a bit extender so you can use it by hand. Unfortunately it looks like they don't sell them anymore.

Here's a picture of one of them:
xe6-h.jpg

They used to come in either orange or bright green. You can see it's got little wings or fins so you can twist the bit extender with your fingers. The hole is so you can put it on a key ring. It's a genius idea. I'm pretty bummed that they don't appear to carry them anymore.

I have a set of these and one deep 1/4" hex extension that fits them well. I have not been able to find any other bit drivers that are deep enough to really retain these.
Anybody know of a super compact bit driver that is deeper than normal?

Wiha 77780 Set, darn near perfect:
4e2db87b1b0004bc159e9f02b3deadadf919be28__04238.1614481518.jpg

I've been on the same search and looked high and low and thus far, no luck. I have found one youtube video that indicates that the Vic L-Tool mostly works. It stands to reason that the Vic ratchet might as well but I haven't been able to confirm. Otherwise, I think the Leatherman extensions and the L-Tool are it. Nothing (other than the possibility of the Vic Ratchet) in a stand alone tool.

ETA: There is an ongoing thread on multitool.org covering practically every mini driver/ratchet on the market and they confirm that the Victorinox Ratchet will work with double sided bits.

Last edited:
Some really cool g10 ones on blade hq

Speaking of bit extenders, most of the ones I have are too shallow to use double ended bits, but I do actually own one that is deep enough for them. Unfortunately I don't know what brand it is because it isn't marked.

Point is, you could try looking at bit extenders until you find one that's deep enough to use the wiha double sided bits. They do exist, otherwise I never would have ended up with one.

I'm thinking about getting a Leatherman extension for my new Arc.

Those would fit them?
Based solely on watching videos (I will test the bits with my Leatherman extension when I get home and report back) both the standard extension and the ratcheting one will work with double sided Wiha bits. They are the same length as Leatherman flat bits so it makes sense, but I will confirm.

I’m not super familiar with wiha, but if you’re asking for a compact 1/4 hex driver, Snap on makes a damn good stubby ratcheting driver. Expensive but easily the best stubby hex bit driver I’ve used

Do they actually hold into the Chapman drive tools ?
I'd imagine not since the Chapman bits have a ball detent.
They stick like glue to the WERA ratchet but will fall out of the Chapman extensions if pointed toward the floor.

Back