Anyone else have a Spyderco Military?

Anyone else have a Spyderco Military that keeps falling apart? The TINY screws in mine keep coming loose and getting lost. Lost 2 for the clip and one for the scales. Makes for a good door stop though.

Did you try contacting Spyderco before you posted this? You might try posting this in the Spyderco forum.
--Josh

For about $15-$20 more you can own the Al Mar Sere 2000, which is about 10 times better than a Military.

Originally posted by komondor
For about $15-$20 more you can own the Al Mar Sere 2000, which is about 10 times better than a Military.

The AMK SERE 2000, along with the Microtech LCC are really solid knives. The word "tanks" come to mind.

I had one, it failed and I sent it back to spyderco. They were nice enough to replace it with a starmate, which was nice, but got traded.

And I got the Starmate and traded it because it suffered from the same ailment as the Military. A single liner. Both great designs though...just need two liners.

Originally posted by Don Rearic
And I got the Starmate and traded it because it suffered from the same ailment as the Military. A single liner. Both great designs though...just need two liners.

Exactly. I would have owned a Wegner a long time ago, but for that single liner business.

well i own a old ATS34 millie, and its a great knife, but its at spyderco right now, getting lock probs fixed lol......what can i say?????? but to be fair, the GUNTING went in for probs w/the pivot pin loosening up on me also - all in all i shipped 3 to spydie, but one was just to have the handles rebeadblasted on a ti lum tanto, so only 2 w/probs - i thought the later model millies had the bugs worked out of them????

sifu

The Lum Titanium Tanto is a very cool knife. I've had my hands on them and they look solid. I'd like to experiment and anodize one of them one day...

Speaking of tanks, one folder I'll always remember was the original Al Mar SERE Attack. Thick, heavy, and huge, with an equally substantial belt sheath. Beautiful, too, I might add. I seem to recall green and black or grey Micarta for the scales. A friend had one back around the mid-eighties (I'm sure he got rid of it--he was always a gun and knife trader--but that's how I got to try out many guns I never could have afforded). My time-hazed guess is it had around a four-inch blade.

And yeah, it was a LOCKBACK! But what a knife! I haven't seen one ever mentioned either here or the "other" forum. Anyone recall this monster???? I think it was designed with some input from SERE instructors or participants, but I could be wrong (or fell for some advertising hype).

I think he paid around $200 for it at an Ohio Gun Collectors show. (And probably sold it for half that, the idiot.)

What's one going for now? I bet they're through the roof.

Karl

My gripe with my Military is that the nested liner is too darn easy to disengage IMHO. It opens and closes easily, even with gloves. I wish it closed a bit less easily. I was stropping the blade once and accidentally unlocked it. Did not get cut, but I thought WTF till I realized what I did. I just let my finger ride in the wrong place while drawing it back. Other than that lock up is solid and I have never had it unlock otherwise. I consider it a lightweight large slicer type utility knife. I like it, the steel and the G-10.
I like it for what it is, and it is not a defensive piece in current form.

Even though I really do like Spyderco knives generally, for tough use I shy away from them for the reasons mentioned: skimpy liner locks and one missing liner. I really like the shape and ergonomics of the Wegner, but wish it has more beef! The Spydercos are good light/medium duty slicers, but when the going gets tough and I can not bring a fixed blade, I reach for the Buck-Strider (BG-42 Spearpoint) or the SERE2K, with preference for the former. For a compromise of portability, handy size and tough, the SERE gets to go.

To answer the question that I know someone will ask, no, I have not tried the Chinook yet, but I see one in my future as I like what I see.

With all of that said, the Endura gets lots of carry time because of its weight, size and price. I liked the Military but it was overlapped and bettered by other knives in my EDC rotation. It has a useful blade shape and grind, but I always felt that it needed a thicker lock and another liner.

Originally posted by takao
did you try lock-tite?

I thought I heard somewhere that Loc-Tite had the tendency to destroy G-10. If that's true, Loc-Tite would be a bad idea.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know--I've got a Military myself, although I'm looking to be rid of it (& others)...

I've had the Military, loved the blade and the subtle ergos in its' handle. I've had 3 Enduras, stainless was my favorite but the Military out cut them all against carpet and was much better overall in terms of action and handling.

I've held the SERE 2K and I wanted it an inch longer overall. I've since gravitated to double liner folders (CQC 7 and Chinook) but for hard cutting days I use a kukri or my Busse Basic #3. At this point, I'd carry a Military for work and fight with the CQC 7 and Chinook.

Here's the weight distribution between some of the folder
Chinook 7oz, Wegner 6oz, EKI Commander, 5.5oz

I bought a military and like the ergonomics for draw point. It also sharpens very easily, but the lock is rather flimsy. There is noticeable play in mine when it's engaged. But I found it was very easy to open one handed with my left hand with a downward snap. So now I carry it as a left pocket knife to back up the civilian in my right should I lose it. That combination can work like a small hawk and knife due to the hook on the civilian.

The TANK of tank folders is the SOG Tomcat! 3/16 thick blade on a folder is truley huge! I had a stud put on mine so I can get it open with one hand. It's a great "BIG" folder!

Back