Anyone ever recover a chair seat with leather?

Ebbtide

Platinum Member
I was staring at an old, old, old family heirloom chair that my father recovered with some awful, apparently bullet proof, gray vinyl.
The vinyl has been on there for 50 years and shows no wear, but it is so ugly...

The seat comes off the frame so that's not an issue...
2/3 oz leather?

Tips?
Tricks?
Experiences?
Something to show off?
Post away!

We did 8 dining room chairs. I bought 2 buffalo hides in a maroon color, 3/4 oz, each hide was about 50-55 sf. Bought all the foam, tacks etc. Started making patterns etc before cutting. Realized this project was way above my pay grade. Loaded up the pickem up truck and took em all down to town and had an upholstery guy do it. For like $35 a chair. Money way well spent.

I've done a couple of my shop stools and they look pretty good. I used Tandy upholstery sides which were perfect for the job. check 'em out.

Paul

I made an office rocking chair some years back and did the seat with pigskin which is able to be stretched and conform to the corners nicely. Been there in use going on for 20 plus years and will see me out with much life to spare for another behind to sit on it going forward.
Not a difficult process if you look at how the vinyl seat cover is fitted to the base and the leather cover is just the same process in reverse.

Thanks for the replies.
I will look into the upholstery sides and pigskin.

Here is the chair in question...

That chair will be an easy job. Upholstery sides or any of the stretchy leathers will do a beautiful job.

Paul

Good to hear. Thank you.
It is on the official "Round Tuiut" list :)

Back