Anyone have a 484 Nakamura?

I was looking at the 484 Nakamura and am very tempted by it. My favorite steel in a nice looking G10 package. The only thing holding me back is the price. I also just ordered a Spyderco Manix in 110v.

I haven't stopped carrying mine since the day I got it. I wrote a review that's in the review forum.

The knife is smaller than you would think.

Neat little knife.

IMG_8213_zps68c072c0.jpg

IMG_8210_zps00088e0b.jpg

The 484s design justifies the price for me. I have medium size hands so it fits perfectly, better than a mini grip does.

It also carries very VERY well.

It's an excellent knife and a good value for what you get. The quality is exceptional, the finish is cosmetically pleasing and consistent, it fits the hand almost perfectly, the steel is fantastic, and blade grind has many characteristics from many folders Bob Terzuola has produced (which are fantastic performers). I wound up purchasing the 483 after holding the two as I wanted to try the button lock, but I would have bought both had I not just purchased 5 other knives this week! While I really like my 110V Manix LW, the finish on the 484 is much, much, much, much nicer and and I like it a lot more than the Manix. I also like how M390 is a little easier for me to upkeep than something like S90V or S110V.

That knife would be awesome if it was the same price but 1/2" bigger in both directions...

I love mine and in fact am carrying it today. It like the size although I would also like a slightly larger version of this knife. The only issue I had was how far the thumbstud sticks out on the side I don't use (I am right handed). The thumb stud could catch on my pants and partially open the knife when I pulled it from my pocket. I improvised a quick fix as described in this thread and now the problem is solved.

BM_484_4.jpg

484_thumbstud_3.jpg

484_thumbstud_2.jpg

Played with one at local knife shop. Fit and finish are really good. Wish it was 25% bigger and I'd be all over it.

I swapped with my M4 mini grip today for a comparison. The mini grip feels flimsy after carrying the 484. Guess which one I'll be carrying tomorrow. ;)

I can see benchmade making new versions of the 484, at least these:
1) larger version
2) gold class version

I think it performs like a bigger knife while carrying like a smaller knife. I love it. M390 is my favorite steel.

Sweet knife. But the opportunity cost of purchasing it doesn't pencil out for me. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with my pre-MAAP M4 mini grip. :)

I love mine and in fact am carrying it today. It like the size although I would also like a slightly larger version of this knife. The only issue I had was how far the thumbstud sticks out on the side I don't use (I am right handed). The thumb stud could catch on my pants and partially open the knife when I pulled it from my pocket. I improvised a quick fix as described in this thread and now the problem is solved.

BM_484_4.jpg

484_thumbstud_3.jpg

484_thumbstud_2.jpg

Thank you for that great idea. I have a 484 but sold it because of the early opening, after reading your little tip I bought another one did your retro fit and know the knife is a keeper for sure. Thanks again.

I am hoping a fellow member can help me. I would like to buy the 484 Nakamura, but only if it will ride close to being flush or lower in my pocket. My plan was to replace the clip with a low-rider from the Contego 810 but have read a few posts that say it will extend above the grip. If it wouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience, could someone who has the 484 Nakamura and a 810 clip attach it just long enough to take a photo and post it.

Thanks.

I am hoping a fellow member can help me. I would like to buy the 484 Nakamura, but only if it will ride close to being flush or lower in my pocket. My plan was to replace the clip with a low-rider from the Contego 810 but have read a few posts that say it will extend above the grip. If it wouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience, could someone who has the 484 Nakamura and a 810 clip attach it just long enough to take a photo and post it.

Thanks.

It does seem to extend slightly beyond the knife scales but I don't think it would bother me.

382EAFFA-1092-4B89-A7C6-547B8AF8D21A.jpg

E66DCCEB-5FFA-4D56-A7B1-2711C3DA47B2.jpg

799D42F5-965E-4116-BCF7-37C62E33A4FF.jpg

90CB8886-E07F-473B-B9C9-3463AFB641DE.jpg

The only disadvantage I can see with that, is the bottom standoff will only be held in by one screw on the side opposite the clip, as there is no center screw for the 810 clip.

Back