Anyone Kayak Fish?

I bought myself a Tarpon 140 sit-on-top kayak a few weeks back and got to fish off of it on Saturday. The weather was perfect. My bro-in-law (on a Prowler Trident 13) and I paddled out of Jones Beach on the south shore of Long Island and paddled through the bay to one of the nearby bridges. Caught a bunch of short sea bass, and I got one keeper. Lot's of fun, but alot of difficulties, this being the first time out. Trolling was a lot tougher than expected - I thought it would be the easiest - you really have to watch your direction, wind, and current - my line kept getting hung up on my other rod and my rudder. Anchoring on a kayak is TOUGH! Lost my anchor on a bridge abutment. Make sure you really know where you want your rod holder before you drill - mine wound up being in the most annoying position - lucky I have a slidetrax system and it's easily moveable.

Let me be the first to say...heck yes. I run jug lines, spinning reel, fly and bow fish...all from a kayak. They really are addicting. I need to get out more before it gets cold and stock up on fish!

I fish from canoes a lot. Use to own a homemade canvas kayak that I fished out of a few times. It wasnt a good fishing craft, not like the ones I see used now.

Just bought my second boat this week, a Paranha H2. There's enough room to stash a breakdown Eagle Claw spinning rod in there, I can't wait to try it on the Hell's Canyon section of the Snake River next month. Should be prime steelhead and salmon time...

I'm planning on getting a crab pot that'll fit perfectly in my tank well - I can throw it off the side on the way out and pick it up on the way back.

Ya I fish from an OK Trident 13. It pays to fish in it for a while before installing "stuff"..An anchor trolley may solve some of your anchoring problems. You can get lots of info on the many many kayak fishing forums. Here is a good one to start with: http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/
I am tennesseeyakker on that site.

Ya I fish from an OK Trident 13. It pays to fish in it for a while before installing "stuff"..An anchor trolley may solve some of your anchoring problems. You can get lots of info on the many many kayak fishing forums. Here is a good one to start with: http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/
I am tennesseeyakker on that site.

Thanks! I signed up to that site a while back as wintermute2 (very original). My problem isn't the actual anchoring - I tied off to one of my handles and used my rudder to navigate and negotiate current - so much as getting my anchor line knotted up when dropping anchor - I think I need a caddy moreso than a trolley - maybe an electrical spool will help keep things tidy.

I've fished from kayaks before, but I much prefer a canoe (usually solo). Way easier with multiple poles, gear, anchor, buddies, dogs, and handling fish.

I have been kayak fishing for few years now. I have a johnny bar rigged up to the deck. Never bothered to get a "fishing" kayak.

White12.jpg

RiggedYak2.jpg

Kayaking-2-14-09-001.jpg

YakRack-1.jpg

I fish out of my kayaks on a lake all the time. Usualy alot of fun because can get to places that other boats cant. I fish out of a Dagger Charlston works realy nice. I would like an Acadia eventualy because its a little less prone to tipping over, ive used acadia's in the ocean befor to fish for blue fish.

Last edited:
Awwww, just bought a used Ocean Kayak Malibu two seater! I plan on using it for fishing real soon! Just mad that I found it after summer is over! But heck can't complain $280 for a fairly new two seater kayak with seats and paddles! One thing keep the pictures coming and does anyone have experience on home made rod holders? I'm thinking of getting some pvc piping and L brackets, drill it on my kayak, seal up the holes cavities with gasket sealer?

Back