Anyone Own A Kelgin Knife

Anybody out there own a custom knife from Ken Largin? i am curious about your impressions of there functionality and durability. What do you think?

I own a bird and trout knife by Kelgin. I don't like it much at all. Functionality is OK, I suppose, but the soldering job on the one I own is extremely sloppy and there was a large crack in the blade near the guard (perhaps a really bad stress fracture?).

The knife I own was made by Paula Largin, not Ken. I can't comment on Ken's knives, but a dealer once told me he felt the knives were poorly made (no buttcap on pulpy stag handles, cheap production damascus, less than desireable fit and finish, etc...).

My advice, don't buy one unless you can handle and inspect it first. Kelgin knives do have a warranty (although they charge a $20 handling fee), so hopefully, a bad knife can be fixed or replaced.

------------------

http://www.apechild.com/blades

What Wulf said. With a slight twist. I have a Kelgin Damascus Bird & Trout with brass guard, blue spacers and stag handle. While not the absolute in workmanship or materials, I love the little guy! Sheath sucks but is functional and works good for pocket carry. I think it is a really good value for the $40 I have in it.

I have two of them. My initial impression with the first one was not too great and the sheath looked kind of crappy. I carried the knife anyway since I thought it would be a good using knife. After a few days I started to notice that I was carrying it more and more and wondered why.

Though the sheath was very basic it rode perfectly at my side in a nice position to withdraw the knife. The knife itself, though basic looking sharpened easily, was a nice steel grade in 440C and fit my hand well.

I got stuck in the woods one evening (my dirt bike drove into a mud puddle that was more like quicksand) and I used the knife to help chop off a branch on a tree that I was using as a lever to free up the bike. When I got home I realized I left the knife there and I rode ride back there to retrieve it.

For the price I think the knife is fine. They're a no thrill, basic utility tool. Not too fancy and made well for the price.

I bought a second, BTW.

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

I will do like my mother taught me and say something nice. I used to own one!
wink.gif

Regards,

Tom Carey

Back