Anyone take apart your Medford Praetorian?

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I spoke w Greg (Medford) about a month ago and his reasoning is that he hires and trains master craftspeople and spends millions in precision machinery in order to put together knives that are as perfectly adjusted a possible. It seems unlikely to him that a layperson will do better.

As stated above, taking a Medford apart is NOT rocket science. Yes they are big knives. Yes they (and others) can be finicky, however I would put the tolerances of a Chris Reeve knife ahead of a Medford, and CRK allows you to take your knife apart because they know it will *eventually* need to be serviced, and again, due to the design, it's not rocket science.

That said, if you want to keep the warranty on your Medford, send it back to them for service if and when it needs to be. I remember Greg saying in a video that, "8 or 9 out of 10 of you WILL put the knife back together correctly, but it will be that 1 that will make life a nightmare for me." or something to that effect. Then he showed how he cleans his Praetorian with just light soap and water, then dries with compressed air.

IF however, you don't care about the warranty, and believe you are competent enough to put the washers/screws/blade/etc. back where they came from and possibly want to improve the action and speed by running a lighter grease or oil, then aside from the proper sized allen wrench the other tool you can use is a small pair of round nosed pliers. These will work better than the spanner since the tines are round and not sharp, plus they are tapered, so that will help get a snug fit and be less likely to slip and scratch the pivot.

Again though the people that use their knives that taking them down should be the absolute last resort, especially if that knife is working properly right now. Medford's DO break in rather nicely when played with, and even *slightly* loosening the pivot (I'm talking 1/16 - 1/32 of a turn here) makes a difference in the action.

Good luck!

To chime in on a few year old thread since it's been revived lol. I've taken apart several but I had a special spanner tool made for me which makes the pivot a non-issue. The only thing I will say is don't press out the locking stud from the blade without extreme care. I have cracked one before and had to eat the cost of buying my customer a new one. That was a while ago, now I would just make a new blade for the frame haha. Other than that a little common sense goes a long way =)

Here's a different one (praetorian T) I cerakoted, they are nice knives and very beefy!

IMG_20170211_211514-X2.jpg

Back