Anyone use an Esbit?

Your thoughts, please, on the following:

Esbit stove

Folding wing stove

Trioxane

Hexamine

Thanks!

Hi, if you mean a little gray metal folding stove that holds a package of esbit fuel bars inside when closed with "Esbit Stove" I have one.
The one I have is an official military version and is just about perfect to warm small amounts of water and warm cans with military rations, cost me $3 with fuel.
Trying to cook on it, like cooking a rabbit wouldn't work that well and would cost to much Esbit fuel cubes.

On the side I don't like the smell that these Esbit fuel cubes spread, just awfull.

Cheers, Bagheera

------------------

I bought one at a surplus store a while ago, hoping it would make a great lightweight stove. The stove is good for warming up 1 cupful per cube of Trioxane. Boiling with it is difficult as water seemed to get just short of boiling every time. Cooking anything requires too many cubes and the cooking area is too small. If you're looking for something to heat up your morning hot cocoa, it's fine. But to boil water for drinking, I'll use my Primus Multi-Fuel.

CAman

I have to agree with Bageera here, coking anything over a cup of water takes up a large fuel supply with them. But they are better than nothign in a pinch.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

Hey Michlee, seems that we agree on this one!
biggrin.gif

Keep cooking, Bagheera

------------------

I have one, though when I bought it at Major Surplus it was called a "Ranger Stove." I've not used it with the fuel tabs. I just used small pieces of wood to build a very small fire and heated MREs with it. Worked great and alot less weight than the MSR Whisperlite I used a couple weeks ago.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

See my "just built a stove and other ramblings" thread just above.

pat

Back