Anyone wear a neck flashlight ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
The small keychain sized flashlights are great but I don't put things on my keys, just the few most necessary keys and a Casexx flight tag BladeHQ gave me a few years back.
I started with the Olight I1r2 then eventually went to the tiny little X9R cell they give me for free.
Now it's the new Maratac chickpea I bought from countycomm about a month or so ago.
I like having something that's always on me so I don't have to feel around when I get up to drain the tank or get a drink of water at night.

20230714_105913.jpg

I have a barrel snap on the flashlight and one on the neck cord itself, I used 275 paracord for this.20230714_110011.jpg
20230714_110059.jpg
If I pull by the flashlight it comes off, and if I pull just above that barrel snap the whole thing comes off my neck.
That barrel snap also allows me to swivel the flashlight a bit so the button is where I want it if I use it real quick without detaching it.

the neck light mostly comes in handy at night, and occasionally when I'm in a sitting position and getting my main EDC light out of my pocket is awkward.

Last edited:
Nice idea and I can see the utility. Think I could do a Proton one as they are really small and I don't like much around my neck.

I have a Stream Light NANO Light that I kept clipped to my IDenty Badge holder, we wore at Trade Shows. Many times as soon as the show is over they turn off about half the lights in the convention center and you are breaking down your display in half darkness. That little light came in handy many, many times. John

Most of us at work wear out headlights around our necks. Keeping the light pointed down, instead of everywhere you look.

It is more comfortable plus it stops you from blinding your coworkers.

Been wearing a LĆ¼mmi Wee in stainless Damasteel for probably 10 years now...super handy.

Screenshot_20200409-170805_Gallery_2 (1).jpg

The small keychain sized flashlights are great but I don't put things on my keys, just the few most necessary keys and a Casexx flight tag BladeHQ gave me a few years back.
I started with the Olight I1r2 then eventually went to the tiny little X9R cell they give me for free.
Now it's the new Maratac chickpea I bought from countycomm about a month or so ago.
I like having something that's always on me so I don't have to feel around when I get up to drain the tank or get a drink of water at night.

View attachment 2251707

I have a barrel snap on the flashlight and one on the neck cord itself, I used 275 paracord for this.View attachment 2251718
View attachment 2251717
If I pull by the flashlight it comes off, and if I pull just above that barrel snap the whole thing comes off my neck.
That barrel snap also allows me to swivel the flashlight a bit so the button is where I want it if I use it real quick without detaching it.

the neck light mostly comes in handy at night, and occasionally when I'm in a sitting position and getting my main EDC light out of my pocket is awkward.

Enabler point for you, sir - just ordered a Chickpea. I'm not always a fan of having things around my neck, but I can see some situations in which it would be a good option.

Enabler point for you, sir - just ordered a Chickpea. I'm not always a fan of having things around my neck, but I can see some situations in which it would be a good option.
hopefully you like it.
Fyi it has some hidden features.
If you don't like the illuminated button you can give it 7 rapid clicks from the off position to turn that red light off.
I have also discovered a hidden momentary mode that hasn't been reported anywhere.
from the off position press and hold the button till it flashes , now it's in momentary mode on low.
Do the same to go back to normal.

btw they can accept an extended body and larger battery, countycomm doesn't seem offer one specifically for the chickpea yet but it's the same one used for their peanut beast.

Last edited:
Streamlight Key Mate. I wear it often.
My daughter (LEO) once cleared a house with it in her mouth. Her partner made the suggestion she get a few more lumens for work. Thatā€™s how I got it.
IMG_3277.jpeg

btw they can accept an extended body and larger body, countycomm doesn't seem offer one specifically for the chickpea yet but it's the same one used for their peanut beast.
I saw that - I may pick one up when they are available again, just to have options.

I have had one of CC's titanium AA lights for a couple years now, and it's been a solid little light.

I saw that - I may pick one up when they are available again, just to have options.

I have had one of CC's titanium AA lights for a couple years now, and it's been a solid little light.
Their lights all seem to be made by Lumintop, so maybe that's why.

I used to keep a small LED keychain light clipped to my belt loop. Don't remember the brand, but the thing was basically 2 flat coin cells stacked on each other, with the leads of a LED on the top and bottom of the stack. It was a push button, but had a little switch to keep it turned on. Those small lights are handy. The small ones that look like a traditional flashlight must take odd sized batteries? I think the Streamlight one has a battery with leads sticking out of one or both sides. Not something you can pick up at the grocery store. A stack of small coin cells (I think the 357 size cell comes in a 3 pack) may be convenient enough to obtain from most stores.

Nothing worse than having a dead battery on the light when you need it. I have been going to the single AA or AAA sizes where you can buy lithium cells which keep for long periods. Too many of my alkaline batteries leaked after sitting for long periods, thus the switch to lithium. The light is never the same after the cells leak, because I can never get all the corrosion off. Just took a light apart last weekend after the AA "max" cells leaked in it.

Reactions: jsc
I used to keep a small LED keychain light clipped to my belt loop. Don't remember the brand, but the thing was basically 2 flat coin cells stacked on each other, with the leads of a LED on the top and bottom of the stack. It was a push button, but had a little switch to keep it turned on. Those small lights are handy. The small ones that look like a traditional flashlight must take odd sized batteries? I think the Streamlight one has a battery with leads sticking out of one or both sides. Not something you can pick up at the grocery store. A stack of small coin cells (I think the 357 size cell comes in a 3 pack) may be convenient enough to obtain from most stores.

Nothing worse than having a dead battery on the light when you need it. I have been going to the single AA or AAA sizes where you can buy lithium cells which keep for long periods. Too many of my alkaline batteries leaked after sitting for long periods, thus the switch to lithium. The light is never the same after the cells leak, because I can never get all the corrosion off. Just took a light apart last weekend after the AA "max" cells leaked in it.
Photon Micro Light?

My Chickpea arrived today - what a sweet little light! I'll be carrying this little guy everywhere I go as a backup to my main EDC light.

I just ordered a chickpea and some other cool stuff. What an awesome site for edc and off trail goods! Very happy I clicked on this thread!
I really don't want to total up how much I've spent at County Comm over the years... šŸ˜‚

The small ones that look like a traditional flashlight must take odd sized batteries?
The teeny tiny little Olight x9r cell uses a pin cell battery with well a pin sticking out the top, but it lasts for I think 30 hours because it's only got 2.5 lumins and as far as I know it's the smallest traditional format flashlight from a reputable company.
I have a couple nitefox e01 flashlights that are as small, but they use a cheap bluish tint LED.
They do use a stack of easily sourced button cell betteries though, and each came with 2 complete sets of extra batteries so that's a plus.

The maratac chickpea and lumintop frog ( the chickpea is a slightly modified frog ) use a rechargeable battery.

Back