"Apocalaxe" -- by Council Tool

I'd love to hear that a 'rafting' axe (hardened poll) was resurrected. Seems nobody makes them anymore and yet one of those would definitely be very handy.

It's my own earlier post but I know nothing about 'reply with quotes' to do much else with multiple previous responses. Axes are (and always have been) supposed to be durable lifetime investments and the modern age has increasingly brought them into the realm of disposable 'consumer goods' whereby you throw them out when the warranty expires (or blade gets dull or the handle breaks, and/or so that you have the excuse to supplant them with the latest "fashionable" trivial version). I have only ever bought one "brand new" axe and that was 25 years ago (and after searching for a year).
Obviously (sales-wise and as an economy booster) whether I know anything or not about how to educate-edly select for a purchase is going to make no difference in the current manufacture profit scheme of things since a well chosen implement easily outlives it's owner.

An update, it's on the Council site with a list price of $134.95 and they are having a little fun with the description (bold emphasis added by me):

The new APOCALAXE is a multipurpose tool featuring a very sharp blade, hammer head with a gut hook and can/bottle opener. This tool is ideal for wilderness outings and general Bushcraft activities. The sharp blade can cut saplings for firewood and has a grip behind the blade great for skinning. The gut hook is very sharp in just the right place to assure a clean cut before skinning. Hammer head can be used to drive in tent takes and the polymer hand grip is non slip and shock absorbing. Ideal multi-functional tool for camping, hunting, hiking and general outdoor life. Works on Zombies as well.

Approximate weight is 2#
Measures 15" in OAL length
Forged of high carbon steel
Molded polymer grip for control and slip prevention
Sculpted hand grip behind axe blade for skinning and close combat with Zombies or other undesirables.
Made in USA!

quoted from Council Tool site

APOCOLAXE815142.jpg

The more I look at it the more I want to try it. Maybe get rid of the gut hook and give it a little upward angle so there's a decent point which would really increase the utility I think. I dunno. This is the first all steel axe not made by Johnson or Winkler (alphabetical, not by importance) that has appealed to me in some time. If I do wind up with one, I'll post up some feedback.

If for no other reason I'd like to try it out to give Council some real-world feedback on what the tool is lacking (or has too much of). On sight, I'd say too many gizmos, but you never know.

I was watching an episode of Naked & Afraid a month ago or so and one of the guys on there had a tool that looked very much like this one. He claimed to have invented it and was some kind of martial arts instructor & survivalist. I'll have to go back and see if I can try to find a picture of it.

Jake

Found it wow that was easier than I thought it would be. He calls himself "The Black Ninja"......... It looks more like a weapon than the council tool version but there are many similarities between them! Here is a link to his site and a picture of the "tool" I'm talking about. http://blackmacgyver.com/
TenguOno_zps4f8bc0e5.png

I wonder if the folks at Council Tools are having a laugh over our reactions to the Apocalaxe. Maybe they have a better sense of humor than we know. Could be they made this one "just for the fun of it"?!

It won't keep me from buying their axes. And if it's at the local hardware store, I would love to fondle it and gawk.

The bottle opener craze is getting out of hand.

Not really! Male end of GM lap belts (certainly on the pickup truck models (I owned a couple of these)) of the late 60s were perfect for 'snapping caps' off beer bottles. Notice that when newer seat belt designs came out (and that would no longer open bottles) all of a sudden Ford started to sell more trucks. GM missed out on this 'inadvertent' red-neck feature before they even knew they had it!

Mind you in the late 60s/early 70s there were no twist-top caps on any carbonated glass bottle drinks and beer cans were just starting to be made of aluminum instead of steel. Whereas today only expensive 'Yuppie stuff' features wine corks and beverage caps that don't twist off.

OK. I'm going to have to get an Apocalaxe, just to complete my costume for the next Star Trek convention or Comi-Con!

Council Tool is definitely having some fun with us! Can't wait to see what they cook up for April 1.

OK. I'm going to have to get an Apocalaxe, just to complete my costume for the next Star Trek convention or Comi-Con!

Council Tool is definitely having some fun with us! Can't wait to see what they cook up for April 1.

Hundred and a quarter plus tax and shipping hardly qualifies as a frivolous costume prop. And almost certain that Security at one of these events will not let you enter the grounds with one unless it was made of wood or styrofoam.

And almost certain that Security at one of these events will not let you enter the grounds with one unless it was made of wood or styrofoam.

Awww... They wouldn't let me in anyway, Apocalaxe or no Apocalaxe...

Back