How To Are any these damaged heads worth repairing?

Greetings all! I have three damaged heads and I am wondering if they are worth repairing?

These were all barn finds, or given to me, so I don't have any money in them. The double bit Plumb would be the one that I am most interested in restoring.

3.5 Plumb double bit
a>

Unfortunately, the chip is on the thin bit (felling side?). I hate to remove metal across the entire bit until the chip is gone. The ax won't look balanced/symmetrical. I'm thinking of just sharping the rest of the bit and ignoring the chipped part. How much efficiency will it really reduce the cutting power by?
Chipped.Plumb-3.5%20head_zps46lrchgq.jpg

Small, approx 1 lb "no name" head
a>

The geometry of this head is nice, and I like the size. I could probably get something welded in to the chipped area, but I doubt the head is worth the money. What if I hung the head as normal and then cross pinned it through the handle? It's not my only hatchet, it would be a loaner or truck hatchet.

chipped%201lb%20head.no%20name_zpsvslbcwpd.jpg

Plumb roofing head
a>

These are sort of a dime a dozen. Pitch it? Donate it to a blacksmith friend? Hang it and cross pin it?
Chipped.plumb.roofing%20hatchet_zpss5maggdf.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Joel

Last edited:
Just sharpen that Plumb DB. And don’t worry about trying to remove all of that chip.
I think #2 may be a cast head. Just play around with it. Hang it like normal and see what happens. Maybe hone your axe referb skills. Then give it to some young kid.
Not sure the last one is really worth messing with. Hang it on the wall as is.
Just my 2 cents

I'd give the Plumb a vinegar bath and see how much hardened steel you have left. I suspect you have enough to grind the whole bit back into the correct geometry. And I would do that. It won't cut worth darn with a bad toe. It's what you use the most, that's why they get worn.

The other two with chipped eyes I'd just toss, or sell them on the bay for a couple bucks. Maybe somebody wants to mod them.

Just sharpen that Plumb DB. And don’t worry about trying to remove all of that chip.
I think #2 may be a cast head. Just play around with it. Hang it like normal and see what happens. Maybe hone your axe referb skills. Then give it to some young kid.
Not sure the last one is really worth messing with. Hang it on the wall as is.
Just my 2 cents

I put some Navel Jelly on the small head. It does look like a cast head. :-( I feel less obligated to try to fix it now though!

Back