Are bali’s legal in IL ?

Hi,
I recently moved from Eastern Europe to Chicago, IL, USA so I wondering it is legal to carry balisong around in Illinois.

This weekend I spend about 20 hours reading these forums, so I don’t expect straight answer. I read knife law and didn’t understand a thing…

Anyway my question would be if there are anyone from IL or anyone with some knowledge about situation in my state.

P.S. any good shops in Chicago are where I can look at some bali’s ?

Technically I think they ARE legal,as long as the blade isn't longer than 3",or something like that..I can't remember offhand.But I can't be FOR SURE,cause you never know if there's a city ordinance that overrides the state law for knives.
But let me tell you about chicago cops since your new to the city....it all depends on which cop catches you with it.If he's a cool cop he'll tell you to put it away and be careful with it and just to keep it at home,but it you get an ass of a cop then you bet it'll get taken away and be kept by that cop,most likely.
This is why I never carry my nicer bali's outside of the house...I carry a small 3" bear that was given to me.Ot does the job when I need it,and I won't be heart broken it it get's lost,or taken from me.
I do keep a photo copy of the knife law for Illinois in my wallet,just in case I ever do get hassled for carrying a balisong,I can bust out the sheet and state the law word for word.....unless as I said there a city ordinance,then i'd just look like a total fool to the cop.
But at least it hasn't happend yet,and hopefully i'll never have to worry about such a situation.
I figure if your not being foolish with it and being all flashy in front of a bunch of people,the chances of you getting caught with it are slim to none....just think wisely if you decide to carry a balisong on you,don't be a moron everything will be OK.....L8R
-Stagger lee
P.S. Email me sometime,maybe we can hook up when it get warmer and we can swap tricks.

Welcome to the Balisong Forum & to Illinois!
I agree with what Stagger Lee stated in his message. To be safe keep the blade length 3" or less. Unless a knife is used in the act of a crime, I would not be concerned about it. I carry a vareity of balisongs. Right now my daily carry is my Tachyon, but somedays I use my BM42, BM45, or or BM48; all of which the blade is over 3". If you don't give the police a reason to pull you over or question you, you should be fine.
Be safe!
Mike

Welcome to the forums...sorry haven't been to IL since boot camp just wanted to say hi.

Hey!

I have bought a balisong in Chicago's Chinatown (it's small, only a street with Chinese souvenirs shops)... they had several cheapies models. No good quality... as I did not take the risk to bring a bali in my luggages, I took one for playing during my stay in IL.

Guillaume

Guillaume:
You said you were in china town in chicago,and that it was only a block long....well you visited the "new" china town.
The original "old" china town in chicago is on the southside of chicago,and it's much bigger than the one on the northside of chicago,which is the one you visited.
The one that's on the southside stretchs over numerous blocks,and it's really a cool place to visit if your in the chicago area.
If you ever come back here you'll have to make a point of going to the "real" china town.
I have no idea if there's any balisong's there,but it's just a cool place to check out and great place to eat killer chinese food...TTYL
-Stagger lee

I thought I went southern... no it's sure I went southern... (I took a train to come back to downtown, it was very close to the main Chinatown street, and this metro was outside, on a bridge)
Chinatown was maybe more than a block wide, but smaller than the NYC or LA chinatowns. Well I said that because I not really like the shops there neither the "decorations". But I stay only few hours in this block so maybe I did no see the things to be seen.

Anyway, I liked downtown a lot... windy :) but very very nice... the bar at the top of tha Hancok tower is great.
I stayed only few week-ends in Chicago because I used to stay in St Charles during the week (maybe some of you know this town).

Guillaume

Originally posted by Guillaume

I stayed only few week-ends in Chicago because I used to stay in St Charles during the week (maybe some of you know this town).

Guillaume

St. Charles is a nice town. I live about 20-25 minutes north of St. Charles, in West Dundee. Next time you're in the area, let me know! We can have a flip off! :D

Mike

Back