Are There ANY FMA Schools For Me?

I don't know FMA systems.

I have not seen any FMA systems personally.

Yet from what I've read, the study and practice of those systems seems appealing, interesting, usefull.

So the question comes down to: Where can I see an actual FMA schoool?

There are 4 mllion people here, lots of McDojos, but whenever I have asked in MA circles about the FMA I've been met with 'that' stare. You know the 'WTF' is he asking about stare, followed by a too-long explanation/sales pitch of why another particular art is better suited for me.

BTW I'm in Puerto Rico, USA.

I don't know FMA systems.

I have not seen any FMA systems personally.

Yet from what I've read, the study and practice of those systems seems appealing, interesting, usefull.

So the question comes down to: Where can I see an actual FMA schoool?

There are 4 mllion people here, lots of McDojos, but whenever I have asked in MA circles about the FMA I've been met with 'that' stare. You know the 'WTF' is he asking about stare, followed by a too-long explanation/sales pitch of why another particular art is better suited for me.

BTW I'm in Puerto Rico, USA.

There's an FMA style out there for everyone. :)

In terms of which one is right for you, it's all up to what your needs and goals are. Are you looking for straight-up self-protection methods? Sport? Fitness? There are many FMAs out there and it's important to do the research so you can find one that fits for you.

Since you're in Puerto Rico, you may be interested in this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GYLVaKqOx4A

Ray Dionaldo's group, Filipino Combat Systems (FCS) has a branch down in Puerto Rico. I believe the head of it down there is Rico Cortes. Check it out if you can.

Take Care,
Mike

If you can't find a school for such, why not get together a bunch of friends or a local martial arts school and sponsor my ol' buddy Marc Denny of Dog Brothers, Inc. for a seminar. Marc is fluent in spanish and can give you an accelerated view of practical FMA. If ya do, tell him Matador sent ya.

Best Regards,
Matador

RenegadeMonk, Matador thanks.

I just found the phone number for Rico Cortez, will call tomorrow and see what he offers.

What is your opinion of that organization (FCS)?

I also (while searching for Mr. Cortez) found this http://www.geocities.com/prfcskali/

Does anyone know them?

Wil research what I can today, but still will appreciate any feedback you guys 'in the FMA community' can give me.

A little background. Years ago tried Tae Kwon Do. Found the method of instruction NOT amusing. The technics completly unrealistic for SD, left within a few months.. At the time my smarter friend picked a flavor of Jiu Jitsu. Well... fast forward 15 years.

As far as your question RenegadeMonk, I'm interested in it -as I would hazard to guess most people are interested in MA- for various reasons. I'm looking for 'something to do' besides work (real estate), school (Industrial Engineering) and the family chores responsabilities that come with a wife, kid and a mortgage.

Something which gives a practical real world 'skil set'. And as far as I've seen in the FMA you can get those PESKY EMPTY HAND SKILLS that informed people keep mentioning as a foundation for the transition to stick/knife.

It also goes well with my interest in pocket knives and self defense.

I'm sure there's more... thanks.

Back