Arrrggghh!!! Rust!

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Okay, I've stopped running around in circles and flapping my arms like a chicken. :D

Seriously, I figured there was a little rust under the scales of my BK-2 since I stripped the whole thing and didn't look under there for a long time. And there was a just a bit right where I expected it... under the front of the scales where water gets when I rinse the blade. It came off just fine with light scrubbing. I wound up putting a good coat of Tuff Glide under the scales when I put them back on.

In retrospect, leaving the coating under the scales would have been smarter, but I'm wondering now about coating the steel back with something just under the scales. Maybe a light coat of polyurethane? Or just a quick shot of outdoor spray paint? It's not a big concern, but if there's a quick and easy coating, I figure why not do it? Anyone else gone back and re-coated under scales?

I tend to leave the coating under handles, but if it's already a coat of renaissance wax should protect the handle.
Like you said, rustoleum should also work well, I would do a thick coat of primer even under rustoleum

Renaissance Wax is a good idea. I've seen lots of folks use that for long-term storage.

The knife in question...

P1010186.jpg

Last edited:
take the scales off and yeah, just paint it with something clear. few layers.

hell, just hit the whole knife, the stuff will wear off where it wears.

yeah!

Good thought. That clear poly spray is cheap at China Mart.

Yeah, mine rusts under the handles too, but I just buff it with some 0000 steel wool and mineral oil, and she's getting a nice little patina thing going now. I have learned I will leave the coating on from now on though, just to make like a little easier.

Moose

Um,
I would argue against spraying the blade with anything..under the handle is fine..but avoid the blade. Poly will clog up your sharpening stones very badly...
This is why I hate blade coatings in the first place..they clog stones..and I use my knives..
Besides..I cant see any knife thats coated as a collector...its just to damn ugly to be worth a damn.

I like the look better of a completely stripped blade, especially those with an exposed pommel..

with that said I left the coating on both my 2 and 7 under the scales, as I don't have any reason at the moment to remove them.

couple shots of lacquer maybe, I'd look around for a clear coat in rattle can specific for metal though and I doubt your local CM would carry it, maybe depot or slowes??

or just chill and hit it with 4 ot like moose said and apply your favorite grease/oil.

Flexxx, both of those look good. I'm going to pick up one or the other at The Home Despot today.

I picked up the RustOleim Clear Coat Enamal at lowe's.

I'm going to do it today, just the back end....

Before you spray, you might hit it with some fine grit sand paper and then maybe some rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oil, residue, etc. Should make for a better coat. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

Before you spray, you might hit it with some fine grit sand paper and then maybe some rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oil, residue, etc. Should make for a better coat. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

hit it with 800grit, washed really good, first coat is on...

Are you doing the whole blade or just the hande area?

I'm thinking it would be easier to just soak the whole damn knife in vinegar
for a night, what do you think?

I thought about just putting a patina on the whole thing, but I think I'll just coat under the scales with some of that RustOleum and then forget about it.

The most effective rust preventive coating would be a two-part epoxy paint. Much more robust than any one-part coating.

I never thought of it before, I wonder if moly-coat would work. Use it on my hand loads from time to time, I know it bonds and protects your barrel and is semi-permanent.

When I strip my Esee's I leave the coating under the handle area to aviod this and strip the blade only .

Back