Atlanta Cutlery: Anything Good There?

I've recently browsed the Atlanta Cutlery site, and have been mildly intrigued by various of their cheaper offerings. (Their higher-end stuff is out of range of my slim budget these days.)

Though I wouldn't expect their khuk offerings to be of the quality that we're used to in the H.I. forum, it strikes me that things like tomahawks (for casual "beat-it-up, chop-wood-in-the-back-yard, throw it casually, etc. use) might not be a mistake to get from them. Similarly, I see that they offer some un-handled blades in what they call "carbon steel", for under $20. As to these, does anyone have any experience with them? For that price, it strikes me that even if the heat-treatment is bad or nonexistent, one could heat the blade, then have a go at hardening it oneself--say by the Filipino trick Alexander Weygers described, chopping the hot blade edge-down into a squash or some such, for a poor-man's differential hardening. Any reason this strikes anyone as inherently infeasible?

What experience has anyone out there had with Atlanta Cutlery's stuff? Is it indeed all made by Windlass of India? Anything else I need to know?

Several years ago I bought some knifemaking supplies and got an assorted bunch of blades. Their pattern welded stuff was crap, and most others were so-so. I did get one 8" Chef's blade that was phenomenal. Stainless, slender, and beautifully balanced. I put an Ironwood handle on it and gave it to the girlfriend for a Christmas present. It's better than almost any kitchen knife I've used. Too this day I'm wishing I'd have bought all they had in stock.

Sutcliffe said:
Several years ago I bought some knifemaking supplies and got an assorted bunch of blades. Their pattern welded stuff was crap, and most others were so-so. I did get one 8" Chef's blade that was phenomenal. Stainless, slender, and beautifully balanced. I put an Ironwood handle on it and gave it to the girlfriend for a Christmas present. It's better than almost any kitchen knife I've used. Too this day I'm wishing I'd have bought all they had in stock.

I've done the same thing a number of years ago. I think I got one of those very chef knife blades too, from an Eastern European manufacturer. Mikov, maybe? I think I put a zebrawood handle on mine. I agree with the quality statement on that particular blade. We used it for years at home. When my Ex left I gave it to her, and I'm sure it's still doing duty somewhere out in the cosmos. I've purchased Skandinavian blades and various knifemaking supplies from AC also, but nothing in the last few years. I was always pleased with what I got. I haven't tried their pattern-welded stuff, or their Indian stuff.

Is there anything good there? It is good there is a close button in the upper right hand corner . It is good there is stuff there to show you how good H:I: knives are . It is good for free enterprise to allow even mediocre knives to find a home . There is good in everything . Good night and good luck ! L:O:L

The Windlass swords are not bad, usually. My one Windlass khukuri (the infamous armor-piercing lion head special) was another story.

I highly recommend the antique kardas/chakmaks from AC. They're not all in good (or even acceptable) condition, but for the price, you can afford a few culls. Some of them are very, very nice.

I've found them to be a real mixed bag. QC is almost nonexistant. For example, I have two swords: They are supposed to be alike, but one has almost no heat-treat and the other is close to a work of art and will do everything a fine sword (costing many time more) will do.:rolleyes:
Dan

Return of the J.D. said:
What experience has anyone out there had with Atlanta Cutlery's stuff? Is it indeed all made by Windlass of India?
As far as I know, Windlass Steelcrafts bought out AC some years ago, and are now the parent company.

Atlanta cutlery is a terrible company. 12 months ago I placed a order of (2) cold steel tactical katana machetes. After about 5 months I called customer service.They told me they had my order,and had no estimated time of delivery. About a month later I checked the site, and they was still advertising them. At month #10 I checked the site,they was still advertising them. When I called to cancel my order today they did not seem concerned or shocked ,that my order has not been delivered within 12 months. I will never order from Atlanta cutlery again. They get. 0/5 stars.

At one time, you couldn't find a better deal than the ones they offered for $25. That's been about three decades now, I guess. I can't bring myself to pay what they are asking now.

Back