Attempt To Get Mirror Polish on Bevel

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So starting with AEB-L blade hardened for 61 RC, I sanded up to and including 1500 grit sandpaper.

then I took some green paste. Don't remember where I got it, but it was one of the major knife supplies. I tried using it a few different ways: with a strip of leather, hand rubbing, then with a tiny buffer attachment on my dremel tool, then I just softened the end of the wax block with the heat gun and blobbed it directly onto the bevel and rubbed the green stuff back and forth on the bevel with my finger, for about ten minutes.

Not liking the results, I washed all the green paste residue off. Then I used the Brass-O.

Still not liking the results, I grabbed a piece of white scotchbrite and hand rubbed for several minutes.

Not much of a change, so in the same pouch where I had found the white scotch brite, I found a small piece of cloth backed abrasive that said "3200" and "Micro Mesh" on the back. I wrapped it around an eraser, and patiently worked with it for another 10 minutes or so.

Better, but still not what I would call a true mirror finish.

Last edited:
i am still trying to do a perfect mirror finish. i keep getting closer, but slowly.

1500 is shiny but not fine enough.
2500 is the highest I go to with sandpaper (2000 first then 2500) and is nice, shiny and close to a mirror

I've used micro mesh but only on wood. It comes in sets and goes to 12.000

I'd Never use the tiny buffing tool on a dremel for a blade finish- I've had to re sand a few blades before I figured out that using it was not a good idea! It's just impossible to get an even finish with it.

Back