Australian knife steel suppliers....(I need to find)

Hi everyone.
I need to find a supplier of knife steel here in Australia.

All I have access to is a small amount via the 'Knives Australia' website and its limited and not the best prices.
I need to find or locate (for now) D2 sheet steel in 4mm thickness. I am a novice and dont forge but make
knives by stock removal. I would love to have my own
forge, but unfortunately I live in an apartment and am not working full time.

So I have a lot going against me.
I have looked on the net but have only been able to find industrial steel
and nothing in the form, size or small volume
required my me to make even one knife.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.
Brisbane, Australia.

D2 is an AISI - American Iron and Steel Institute naming nomenclature

I believe that Australia is fully metric - ized

You may have more success searching the other 7 ways to designate it

You would think that metric would harmonize those standards.
I thought that was the point of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_grades

EN steel number..... EN steel name.......SAE grade........DIN......................BS 970...............UNI.........................JIS
1.2379 ..............X153CrMoV12........D-2................X153CrMoV12-1.........BD 2................X155CrVMo12-1.......SKD 11

You try Bohler mate, they have outlets in most cities, they don't call it d2 but will know what your talkin about if you ask.
How big a piece do you need? I have some 25mm x 5mm you could have, or there is an Aussie forum with a name like this one, some of the guys there might be able to help out.

Rob , my first knife ( i'm only on my fifth one at the moment ) was D2 steel from knives australia - nice staff and great service .

Bohler is down in Limestone St Darra Brisbane and seemed real understanding on the phone

while you are down that way try carrolls suspension solutions at industrial av wacol - they have sup 9 or 3 that might be ok for forging

if you want to try overseas , unless there policy has changed , alpha wont send out of north america because of credit card fraud - unless you are an established maker or refered from one ect ....

if you want to find a heat treater down here look up Hills Heat Treatment Australia Pty Ltd, Bayswater VIC - real cheap compared ot others , a just got 2 250mm knives back from them , with a cryo on some n690 for $34 plus postage

i'm in a unit too , but lucky to have a mate with a nice big shed

Last edited:
Thanks Denis but I am not really a supplier, I just help out newbies when I can with small amounts. Bolher are about the only comertial supplier that I know of in Australia and they usually want you to buy a 2m x 1m sheet and they dont cut it up for you either. You could try ASSAB steel or Tool Steel Australia but I havn't delt with either of them. As others have said most of us get our steel from the US. I use Admiral steel and havn't had any problems and usually very prompt but you do have to send a picture of your credit card for varification. Good luck with your search .

Back