Automatic knives in California

This may be a stupid question but do the laws against a civilian owning an automatic knife in California apply inside your home or only in public?

Emilio

the laws only apply to carry, not to simple possession.

and an auto with a blade under 2" is legal (per ca law) to carry.

the laws only apply to carry, not to simple possession.

and an auto with a blade under 2" is legal (per ca law) to carry.

So to clarify. It is legal for me to purchase an auto online and have it shipped to my house as long as it stays in my house?

Emilio

that's correct. personal carry and carry within the passenger cabin of a motor vehicle are prohibited by 653k pc.

many places won't ship autos to ca unless you are active duty military or law enforcement.

i also believe the usps prohibits shipping of autos. if you can find a dealer that will ship to ca, you are within the letter of the law.

So to clarify. It is legal for me to purchase an auto online and have it shipped to my house as long as it stays in my house?

Emilio

here's the kicker, NO! i have autos, i have balis-the chance you'll get caught is pretty slim-just order from a reliable place

blade hq.com/ not your mamas knives/ 888 knives r us/ Tiny's USA

i know, it's pretty friggin' stupid, but you'll probably be fine-once you decide what your gonna get, after you buy and receive it, definetly post pics

what type of auto may i ask? side opener, Double action, OTF?

Thank you for the info. I have been wanting a Lone Wolf D2, now if I can find a dealer to ship me one I'll be happy.

Emilio

that's correct. personal carry and carry within the passenger cabin of a motor vehicle are prohibited by 653k pc.

many places won't ship autos to ca unless you are active duty military or law enforcement.

i also believe the usps prohibits shipping of autos. if you can find a dealer that will ship to ca, you are within the letter of the law.

wait, i could've sworn that i read that by law your not supposed to even SHIP autos unless it's to military or LEO..of course, as i wrote previously, the chances of you running into any trouble by simply having one shipped to you are pretty slim

i thought that's what it was-maybe i misunderstood-let me know-don't wanna be spreading false info

thanks

wait, i could've sworn that i read that by law your not supposed to even SHIP autos unless it's to military or LEO..of course, as i wrote previously, the chances of you running into any trouble by simply having one shipped to you are pretty slim

i thought that's what it was-maybe i misunderstood-let me know-don't wanna be spreading false info

thanks

afaik, the federal law only prohibits shipment over state lines.

exceptions would be to military, or civilians responsible for procurement of such items for military/leo personnel.

I believe you are correct. The Switchblade Act (referenced as Title 15, Chapter 29 of US code) only makes the selling or transportation of automatic knives in "interstate commerce" (interpreted as selling and shipping in the context of sales over state lines). Selling within the same state is not illegal.

In addition, there are two holes in that regarding interstate sales: One is § 1244: Exceptions, which exempts common carriers during the normal course of business, and two, that mail is private and nearly impossible to intercept and search without a MAJOR warrant. Thus shipping even if of questionable legality is no easy task to prosecute. (Unlike bombs and guns, you can't "sniff" knives, and even x-ray would not reliably tell an automatic from a spring assist unless the postal inspector is knut who posts on this forum :D)

Given the wording of the statute, one could argue that it technically is the seller, not the buyer, who is liable. It would seem the willingness to offer for sale is a judgement call on the part of the seller.

*Rumor alert*:
I've even heard that some sellers maintain some kind of storage in states they sell to, wherein they skirt the law by shipping to their own business location first, then shipping from that location to the buyer in the same state. This could be little more than idle speculation, but business such as Blade HQ, LLC must have some kind of loophole they use. However, they abruptly clammed up when I brought the subject up once.

Last edited:
I believe you are correct. The Switchblade Act (referenced as Title 15, Chapter 29 of US code) only makes the selling or transportation of automatic knives in "interstate commerce" (interpreted as selling and shipping in the context of sales over state lines). Selling within the same state is not illegal.

In addition, there are two holes in that regarding interstate sales: One is § 1244: Exceptions, which exempts common carriers during the normal course of business, and two, that mail is private and nearly impossible to intercept and search without a MAJOR warrant. Thus shipping even if of questionable legality is no easy task to prosecute. (Unlike bombs and guns, you can't "sniff" knives, and even x-ray would not reliably tell an automatic from a spring assist unless the postal inspector is knut who posts on this forum :D)

Given the wording of the statute, one could argue that it technically is the seller, not the buyer, who is liable. It would seem the willingness to offer for sale is a judgement call on the part of the seller.

*Rumor alert*:
I've even heard that some sellers maintain some kind of storage in states they sell to, wherein they skirt the law by shipping to their own business location first, then shipping from that location to the buyer in the same state. This could be little more than idle speculation, but business such as Blade HQ, LLC must have some kind of loophole they use. However, they abruptly clammed up when I brought the subject up once.

really? blade hq clammed up? whatever-no biggie-im not worried

i bought a spyderco embassy through amazon and its being shipped to california through usps. Is it legal to keep in my house and not taken outside?

i bought a spyderco embassy through amazon and its being shipped to california through usps. Is it legal to keep in my house and not taken outside?

YES! Perfectly legal. I lived in CA for 26 years, thank god I will not ever live there again. But all my auto's were purchased whilst living there. And that is a lot. I did hear that Phil's Fine Cutlery got busted though. I sweated that one for awhile, since my name was all over his orders. :eek::)

*Rumor alert*:

name me one knife company that has Factories in every state that they sell there auto knifes in please?? every one and there brother are shipping them and they are using the post office to do it too. I use ups you know the brown trucks. I have never had one problem yet.

name me one knife company that has Factories in every state that they sell there auto knifes in please?? every one and there brother are shipping them and they are using the post office to do it too. I use ups you know the brown trucks. I have never had one problem yet.

I posted this 4 years ago dummy. I know better now.

Back