Available steels? S35VN vs. 20CV vs. CTS XHP?

First off I apologize if this has been discussed to death, but I am curious as to the general performance of these 3 steels available on the XM-18. I looked but could only find comments on the individual steels and not how they generally compare.

I am familiar with CPM S35VN and I absolutely love this steel, it is just amazing... How do the other 2 compare, both in price and performance? What order do they go in from least to most expensive?

Thanks!

:D:thumbup:

Can't answer all your questions, but I do have XM-18's in all 3 steels and Rick's table price has been the same for all of them. The only one's that have seen use are in 20CV and it's performed better than any folder steel I've ever had.

It's always surprised me that anyone would want to replace 20CV when it's one of the most premium steels there is, when other maufacturers are only now - and slowly - beginning to use it. People perhaps are not aware that this steel is identical in chemical makeup to M390...

Hmm.. if I had a choice, I would probably get a 20CV and a CTS XHP.. but the only ones available were the CPM S35VN blades.. That is an awesome steel though, so Im definitely not complaining :D

But if I have a chance, Id def like to try out the other steels.

i didnt realize that 20cv was so similar to m390...that makes my opinion change completely about not wanting it. XHP was my 1st choice, but i think m390 has taken 1st place in my opinion.

i didnt realize that 20cv was so similar to m390...that makes my opinion change completely about not wanting it. XHP was my 1st choice, but i think m390 has taken 1st place in my opinion.
Not similar... Identical.

Duratech_20CV.PNG

I'm pretty stoked, just ordered new from maker cpm20cv xm-18 spearpoint! I have the xm-18 Spanto s35vn, so I'm excited to change it up

As far as the steels go, they are all amazing.....I think what has been mentioned before is that when dealing with premium steels it is really more about the heat treat than the actual blade steel.....and the Ranch's heat treat is excellent.....every blade I have had takes and holds an incredible edge.....
There will likely never be a task where you will think to yourself.....damn.....I could have done this if only I had gotten the 20CV blade instead of the S35VN or CTS-XHP.....:D
This is similar to a discussion in top speed in high-end performance cars.....one may edge out the other by a mile or two at the top end.....but when you're going 200+mph are you - as the driver - really going to notice whether you're doing 205 mph or 210 mph......one car may be faster....but the differences are very small and make absolutely no difference to the guy who is going to be driving it 80 mph on the highway......:D
That said....I think it really comes down to personal preference.....cosmetics and what you like......
I like the 20CV blades because they are sterile and I tend to enjoy the clean look......
But having owned all of the blade steels at one point or another.....I can tell you that, in the end, it really doesn't matter.....they are all excellent......:D

Funny, I like to think I keep up with whats happening on the Forum so when I saw this thread pop up I was like, "When did this all happen" then I noticed the date :)
Like Ross said, It's the heat treat that separates the Great from the really great because ALL the steel coming from the Ranch is Really Great.
I have examples of each and love them all, there are steels I don't care for (one reason or another) but none have Hinderer on them.
Congrats on the inbound, You are going to love it.:thumbup:

I can't tell much of a difference between the 20CV and the S35VN other than the latter is a little easier to sharpen and the former might hold the edge a hair longer.

Back