Awesome Kydex by mbhanzo!

This is a little review on some kydex pants I just received from Mike Billman of Grindstone Cutlery (mbhanzo here on Bladeforums).

First of all, I have to say that Mike has definitely gained a life-long customer in me; his kydex work is absolutely top-notch:thumbup:. I’ve always thought his work looked good from the pictures I’ve seen here on Bladeforums and elsewhere, but one needs to actually handle his work to truly appreciate what a superb craftsman he is. I think he has the art perfected.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on a few of the things that impress me about Mike’s work. If you want to skip the words, pics are below.:eek::D

Retention – Simply awesome! This is the first time I've had a fold-over kydex sheath that really snaps the knife into place firmly with a nice "thwack!" I have only experienced this previously with two-piece designs. Furthermore, the pants provide just enough tension to keep the knives securely sheathed, but not enough to make drawing them difficult or annoying. I have had kydex sheaths before that are loose enough in fit to be hazardous, and a few that just refused to let the knife go without a fight. Mike really nailed the balance between blade security and ease of drawing. Both sheaths (Knives: NWA Sierra Scout, JK Handmade Knives Heavy Duty Hunter) are exemplary in molding.

The Thumb Rest - Very well executed. It fits my average sized thumb well and makes drawing the knife easy and fluid. No awkward edges pushing into my thumb, nicely curved/contoured, and it’s positioned perfectly relative to my hand so the thumb falls naturally right onto the rest when drawing the knife. It’s also streamlined - it doesn't stick out much. After experience with a few kydex sheaths without a good thumb rest, I really appreciate how well executed it is on these sheaths.

The Snap Buckle Dangler - I admit I had my reservations about the snap buckle; I usually prefer a one-piece loop so I don’t have to worry about losing my knife to an accident. But I've been tugging on it, and there's no way either knife is coming off my belt with normal use...it probably won't come off even with a good bit of abnormal use. I'm excited to have the option to put the knife on or take it off my belt without having to undo my belt buckle and actually thread it on the belt. The belt-loop is secured well to the kydex with good hardware, and the buckle (ITW Nexus) seems to be of good quality too. It’s also possible to swap out the snap-buckle for an HK clip if wanted. And lastly, Mike designed/constructed the dangler belt-loops so that the butt of the handle rides below or at my belt-line, which perfectly accommodates my wearing a pack with a full waist-belt. A+.

Firesteel Loop – It’s nice and tight, with enough room left on the end so I can use shock cord to secure the steel to the sheath. I really appreciate Mike making it on the tight side since steels wear down over time. Again, good secure hardware there: I'm not worried about it coming off and it feels like I won't need to loctite it for a long while.

Extra cordage and ranger bands – The little details like this really sets Mike apart. It’s nice to have some extra cordage and firestarting stuff right there on the sheath, and it makes use of “dead-space.” It’s a nice way to add function to the sheath without sacrificing anything. It’s done well too, the ends are tied, seared, and hidden away on the back of the sheath.

Drain-hole - Always appreciated :) Users get dirty. It’s big enough to give the sheaths a thorough rinse easily too.

Overall Design/Construction - I really appreciate how Mike minimized excess kydex. He kept the sheaths streamlined and didn't leave unnecessary material. I don’t know if you can notice in the pics, but the bottom edge of the sheath is angled slightly against the belly of the blades, rather than making a box end. This is another small example of Mike’s keen attention to detail. The edges are all smooth and neat as well. Overall, the sheaths have a simple, efficient, functional, and streamlined design and aesthetic. I really couldn’t ask for more: the sheaths function perfectly, ride well, and look good.

Communication – I had an easy time talking details with Mike on the phone. He also updates you on progress, keeps his word, is honest about his schedule, and ships quickly. Good stuff.

So in summary, if you haven’t had one of Mike’s fine sheaths yet, I highly recommend him. You will not be disappointed with his work; it's really top shelf stuff :):thumbup:.

5e650a52.jpg

f433c372.jpg

96a37f10.jpg

fa9affc8.jpg

WOW! :thumbup: That is some impressive work... I was considering making my own, but now I think I might contact this fellow.

Great review :thumbup: This is the man who got me into knives and I could of not said it any better, you pay attention to fine detail sir. Its kind of hard to believe that much detail could purposely go into one of his rigs but its by no mistake. He takes so much pride in his work that it almost frustrates me. Ive seen him pitch so many what looked like to me as good sheaths, but nope, they didnt meet his ULTRA PICKY standards so his time and product went out the door. Mike lives for the cutlery industry and does so much good for it here locally, thanks for kind words rksoon, I know he appreciates it.

Hope you dont mind me showing off a few of my mbhanzo rigs OP

He gave me this one for xmas
IMG_9845.jpg

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

gone but not forgotton
IMG_6913.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

OH YEAH, SMOKIN!

Lets not forget, he is also a magic man with edges! Did he gives yours any loving rksoon?

Last edited:
Good looking work. The retention really is the most important factor. If that's wrong the whole thing is wrong.

WOW! :thumbup: That is some impressive work... I was considering making my own, but now I think I might contact this fellow.

Although self-sufficiency is a good thing, you definitely can't go wrong contacting Mike :thumbup:.

[...]Its kind of hard to believe that much detail could purposely go into one of his rigs but its by no mistake. He takes so much pride in his work that it almost frustrates me. Ive seen him pitch so many what looked like to me as good sheaths, but nope, they didnt meet his ULTRA PICKY standards so his time and product went out the door.[...]

[...]
Lets not forget, he is also a magic man with edges! Did he gives yours any loving rksoon?

You nailed it! It really is hard to believe that one could be so meticulous about a sheath. I never foresaw myself gushing about a kydex sheath before Mike :D It's good to know that Mike does a much for the cutlery community locally too, and you're lucky for being in the area! :thumbup:

Thanks for contributing pics of more of Mike's work :thumbup: I've been playing around to see what I can fit under the ranger band too...so far I'm liking a Vic Farmer there :D

I don't think Mike put his edge on these (I can't remember how sharp I sent them out anyway), but I hear he puts a wicked one on. Next time I send him some work (Fiddleback Hunter sometime later this year!), maybe I'll send along one or two others to touch up if he has the time :thumbup:.

Good looking work. The retention really is the most important factor. If that's wrong the whole thing is wrong.

Yup, it definitely is :thumbup:. And it's not just how tight the sheath is, but how well the maker can compromise retention with ease of drawing. That the sheath has such a solid foundation allows you to fully enjoy the other subtle feature and its appearance. :thumbup:

Good stuff Flitz!

maybe I'll send along one or two others to touch up if he has the time :thumbup:.

He will certainly make the time & you certainly will not be disappointed :thumbup: If you have anything that is real nasty that you feel can not be resurrected, send that too. He can turn turds into gold:thumbup:
StarskyHutch-DOIT.jpg

I never foresaw myself gushing about a kydex sheath before Mike :D
Well, it surely is deserved, his work is amazing. I keep looking at the shape and finish of the thumb rest, it's sooo slick.

He will certainly make the time & you certainly will not be disappointed :thumbup: If you have anything that is real nasty that you feel can not be resurrected, send that too. He can turn turds into gold:thumbup:

Will do :thumbup: I don't have anything mangled yet, but when I do and am too lazy to put a decent edge on it myself I'll ask Mike to bring it back for me :)

Well, it surely is deserved, his work is amazing. I keep looking at the shape and finish of the thumb rest, it's sooo slick.

Haha, it really is :) :thumbup: Works so well!

Back