Photos Axe ID? Peeler Double-Bit 'S' stamp

Found a nice Peeler style Double Bit Axe head in an antique store up here in Humboldt County, CA. Does anyone have any clues about its maker or age?
The only marking is an 'S' stamp to one side. It looks like a Humboldt or California Peeler style double bit.

Weight: around 5lbs. (I don't have a scale, but it's heavier than my 4lbs Plumb Victory.)
Length: 10.5in
Eye: 2 3/4in at the bottom, 2 1/2in at the top

It's an odd one, thanks in advance for the help.

No clue but that's a nice big DB there.

I thought my TT kelly handmade california peeler was big at 4lb, but that looks pretty big

No clue but that's a nice big DB there.

I thought my TT kelly handmade california peeler was big at 4lb, but that looks pretty big
Thanks! Does it look to you like the cutting edges are made of a different metal than the body?

I read that is an indicator of age..

Any info helps.

Thanks! Does it look to you like the cutting edges are made of a different metal than the body?

I read that is an indicator of age..

Any info helps.
The bits look mostly like they're just tempered harder than the rest of the head.
If you look closely at the top of the head you might be able to see if the bits are forge welded or not.

That's probably the Sager S stamp on the cheek. A clean up with a soft wire brush might reveal more. Some of them Warren Sager axes had really light stamps. It does look like a typical overlaid bit. It's a big boy, nice axe.

That's probably the Sager S stamp on the cheek. A clean up with a soft wire brush might reveal more. Some of them Warren Sager axes had really light stamps. It does look like a typical overlaid bit. It's a big boy, nice axe.
Unfortunately after cleaning it up I was not able to find any other stamps. Thanks for the Sager tip.

Back