Axe Questions

JK Knives

First off I will admit I'm not too "manly" to admit I don't know much about axes, hatchets yes, axes no. I've seen the terms "boys axe", "3/4 axe", " Hudson Bay axe", and others, but I have no clue what the difference is. I know there are a couple of guys here, (jds1, outdoorsfan, and I'm sure a few others), who might be able to answer these questions. Pictures would be helpful.

a boy's axe looks just like your standard 3.5 pound single bit axe -- only smaller.
2.2-2.5 pound head weight, 24-26" handle instead of 32-36"
Council+Tool+Boy%27s+Axe+(2.2+lbs.)+with+24++Curved+Handle+22BR_S.jpg

a hudson bay (AKA the 3/4 axe in some areas) is even lighter (1.75-2 pound head) - with roughly the same length cutting edge, but a much narrower poll - still a short handle (24-28").
Council+Tool+Hudson+Bay+Camp+Axe+(2.0+lbs)+with+28++Handle+20HB28_S.jpg

Dayton, Jersey, Michigan, etc.... all refer to patterns that were historically prevalent in those areas.

Just don't get me started on Puget Sound model double bits. I've been looking for a nice big one and people must think they're made of platinum or something.

It's the hipsters, Mack :D.

Someone posted a video a long time ago, in The Outdoors subforum, a video on how to select the proper axe handle length by putting the head on the ground and measuring against your inseam/crotch but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Ring a bell, anyone?

Sager. Very nice axe. Great steel, holds a fantastic edge.

Lock it up or it may go home with me next time I visit. :)

Mack, I'll challenge John to a staring contest with that double bit as the prize. If he blinks and I win, what's It worth to ya? :p

While you two are staring at each other I'll be walking out the door with it.
I'll leave ample payment with The Boss before I go.

It's my understand as well that a boy's Axe is a scanned then version of a regular size single but Axe, don't have a picture of mine in afraid

Thanks for the link a well any, some good browsing ;D

CF8C857D-52D6-4C60-B111-085181B47C07.jpeg I’m new to this sight and I have a question about a sager axe that I picked up at the Packwood flea market. It has sager stamped on it and CSC also. Was there a time when Sager only stamped there name and nothing else? The head is 8 1/4” any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Bixxl

Attachments

• 8B3F1E5E-8EF2-4D43-B497-1B2FE41D25A8.jpeg
    8B3F1E5E-8EF2-4D43-B497-1B2FE41D25A8.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
Back