Böker Plus Kwaiken Flipper Folder

I wish they would upgrade the steel to at least n690co. 200 bucks just seems like a lot for 440c. Sure it hast titanium, but you can get other knives with similar construction for under 200. Spyderco Sage 2, Spyderco Chapparal, Bradley Alias II. Even the Bradley Alias I is only $206 if you shop around. There are probably others out there with titanium handles and better steels. I keep going back and forth on the Boker Burnley Kwaiken, and have friends that feel the same. It's just too much for the steel you get. At least the knife nuts I talk agree. I'm hoping that maybe the 440c is pre production and that productions will have upgraded steel.

Couldn't agree more.

Why shell out this money for 440c? I see other knives priced high and then I can't control my laughing when I see something like AUS8 or 440c used for the blade. Any budget Boker or SOG will do the same thing using the same blade material.

Couldn't agree more.

Why shell out this money for 440c? I see other knives priced high and then I can't control my laughing when I see something like AUS8 or 440c used for the blade. Any budget Boker or SOG will do the same thing using the same blade material.

Try out Boker's 440C before u bash it. I had the Albatros in VG10 & the GTC in 440C. They were pretty similar and held an edge almost equaly. Real easy to resharpen and can get it shaving sharp with maybe 8 passes on a strop. Sold the GTC simply because it wasn't my taste, but have no qualms with Boker's 440C. That being said my favorite steel is still S30V bout to get some experience with CPM154 here in a few months

Try out Boker's 440C before u bash it. I had the Albatros in VG10 & the GTC in 440C. They were pretty similar and held an edge almost equaly. Real easy to resharpen and can get it shaving sharp with maybe 8 passes on a strop. Sold the GTC simply because it wasn't my taste, but have no qualms with Boker's 440C. That being said my favorite steel is still S30V bout to get some experience with CPM154 here in a few months

It is not 440c that's bad. It's the pricepoint that is bad. For 200 bucks, many people expect higher steel than 440c. I like 440c. I just don't like paying 200 bucks for it. I like everything else about the kwaiken flipper, just not the steel. The few in this thread that are vocal, myself included, aren't bashing 440c. We just don't agree that for the pricepoint, the steel justifies the cost.

I love 1095 like in the Izula. Would you pay 200 bucks for an Izula?

The Boker Kwaiken with orange G10, AUS-8 and no flipper sells for $95 at BHQ. That's 36% off of MSRP. Using that same discount the flipper version will sell for $128 (MSRP: $200). For that you get 440C, titanium handles and a flipper. Is it not worth the extra $33?

I wish Boker would have chosen better blade metal, and used titanium liners instead of spending the $ on the handles. That said, this knife is strong in aesthetics and I'm placing emphasis on that when deciding to buy one. Form over function? I don't think so--I won't be using it to chop down trees in Bolivia. It seems solid for what it is. I just hope they make a backspacer with tight tolerances so we won't slice into our fingers when we grab and fondle it closed.

Saw that, too, but last I checked the Euro site still had 440c. I guess we'll have to wait to see!

Saw that, too, but last I checked the Euro site still had 440c. I guess we'll have to wait to see!

Unfortunately, the European Boker website also says AUS-8!

In German it says: "Entgegen der Angabe im Katalog wird die Klinge aus AUS-8 und nicht aus 440C gefertigt." which translates to: "Contrary to the statement in the catalog, the blade of AUS-8 and not of 440C is manufactured."

Ah, that clears it up, then. Bummer. I guess Lucas probably wouldn't want Boker Plus knives to cut too much into his custom sales, which they would if the steels were better.

Ah, that clears it up, then. Bummer. I guess Lucas probably wouldn't want Boker Plus knives to cut too much into his custom sales, which they would if the steels were better.

Yes, bummer! However, for $30 more than the standard Boker Kwaiken we get titanium handles plus a flipper. Still worth it to me.

Totally agree. I still have the orange, non flipper one and saw these online--would be cool if I decide to keep the knife:
9vyi.jpg

More:
1463062_641923749184215_1270748251_n.jpg

Clip looks skeletonized like some of Burnley's customs. Backspacer really looks titanium in this picture:
1472086_641923655850891_1363753195_n.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad they don't list it for sale yet, either!

Beautiful knife. I have several mods planned and can't wait to get them underway.

Looks like the blade tip is still likely to nip fingertips:
7ahg.jpg

I will be reprofiling mine a bit to sink the tip a millimeter or more.

Back