Back Edge on Pocket Hobbit?

Can someone who has actually seen a Pocket Hobbit tell me whether the back edge is actually sharpened or not? I know it has serrations, but I am not certain whether they have an edge to them. It makes a difference as to whether I can carry the thing legally.

--Bob Q

They are not serrations, technically, they say, cause it's not an edge, they are just teeth ground into the back of the blade. And I guess you could make a case for this in court, but most non-knife people would probably think it was an edge...

The ones on mine aren't "sharpened", but they ARE "beveled quite sharply", and are "pointy", but not with "sharp" points.

I guess it could really be open for the individual Officer's "interpretation" if you are ever questioned about it.:).

good question - the serratians are for 'grappling' supposedly, but they are pretty sharp - i have not gotten one because of this, i would call it a double edge knife, personally, so i tend to shy away from it because of legal issues - i hate to have something i might better not carry - i'm no lawyer though lol - but the one i have seen was like i said pretty sharp, not like a spyderco serration, but sharper than most saw edges on survival fixed blade - hard to say.....

sifu

Thanks to all of you for the replies. It sounds like I might be able to get away with the back edge, but it would be taking a risk. As much as I like the looks of the Pocket Hobbit I guess I'll look for something more conventional. :rolleyes:

--Bob Q

The Pocket Hobbit back/top edge is designed for grabbing rather than cutting. But it definitely is sharp and will cut. The knife is a 100% fighter, and a mean lookin' sonofagun too! It's best in reverse grip. If the impression on an LEO is important, you would be wise to pick something different. But for what it is, it's very cool. I just wish the action were smoother. And the company a little more reliable.

Back