Back to basics

The purest water comes from the deepest well.- M. Ueshiba, Founder of Aikido

There is one simple rule that we all agree we need to abide by;
"Do not put yourself in that situation" Before we can ask which knife, firearm or other self defence application we should use, remember this rule.
Also before picking up the gun, knife...etc ask if we can hold our temper, ask if we can hold our head in pride...ask if this situation can be resolved in another manner. Learn the brush before the sword.
What can we as individuals do for our community to safeguard it, rather than fill it with untrained, undisciplined 'weopons experts'

Semper Fi
Recoinassance Company
1st Bat, 9th Mar.

Lawrence, you are absolutely right. I don't believe anyone here wants to use whatever self-defense tool they carry to harm someone just for fun. With that said, the decision to implement that tool must often be made or abandoned in a split second. Diplomacy has its place. Unfortunately, an aggressor often doesn't give you that opportunity. We must be intelligent enough to make the right choice. If that choice is between the BG and my family.........the BG is going down every time.

Woody

As usual I am sure you will get a book from a lot of people on this one.
One should lead by example, you cannot controls the others, be alert, prepared and capable. Take care of your own and do your best for the community. By taking care of your own, you are being responsible and ready for the community's needs. If everyone would just do that much, when something happens around you, you will be ready to help others.

I couldn't agree more.

Events of 9-11 sent one message loud and clear!( several actually)

2 planes where the people responded as trained/conditioned...don't do anything to p&^ss off the bad guys.

1 Plane with people that admittedly had a better grasp of the situation and they fought back and didn't survive, but they stopped the bad guys...permanently.

Sometimes walking (running) away is the bravest act of all....and sometimes it is simply NOT an option. Be prepared for either occurance.

Originally posted by Lawrence
What can we as individuals do for our community to safeguard it, rather than fill it with untrained, undisciplined 'weopons experts'[?]"

Fill it with trained, disciplined weapons experts.

OK, I have to say that I agree with avoiding confrontation. BUT, I live in New Orleans, which is a dangerous damn place. I never owned a firearm, or carried a tactical knife, asp, etc. until I lived here. when I go to florida (sarasota), I almost do not think of being attacked-Police everywhere, different socioeconomic makeup of the city, and other factors make me feel safe. Not that I'm unprepared, but I've almost been mugged twice, once in front of my house, carjacked, various threats to kill me and whatever. I am making the ultimate tactical move-moving. anyone that wants to know about New Orleans, really, can e mail me. thanks.

As with any such aphorism, there's bound to be exceptions. Occasionally, unprovoked attacks do occur. Also, in the case of LEOs such as myself, we are not given the choice to avoid confrontation.
Of course, I've also found that going in to a volatile situation and calming everyone down is usually preferable to stirring it up and getting involved in a resisting situation.
Those rasslin' matches you get into may be exciting at the time, but I've always regretted it the next day- you hurt!

Back