Backpacking/Bushcraft/Hunting...which one??

I can't decide what length of knife I'd like to buy. The knife will be used for a lot of kayaking/backpacking/hiking/camping/hunting this year. I plan to carry a smaller 3" SAK for really intricate work (like skinning small game), but want a larger knife for heavier chores. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Go for a smaller knife (3-4"), and carry a hatchet. Both proper tools for the job, but heavier and more of a pain. Would mean I'm carrying 3 cutting tools.

2. Get the larger knife that can cut and work as a chopper (5-7"), ditch the hatchet. Carrying two knives, but I'm afraid the larger knife will be too big for the "medium" tasks, and still too small to be a good chopper.

Currently I'm leaning toward the first option. Since it will also be carried in situations where the axe isn't a consideration (kayaking, for example), I think a smaller and maneuverable knife would be best. However, even in just that form 3, 4 or 5" blades would all fit the bill.

What are you thoughts? I just can't decide!!

I am waiting for the RC4 for a backpacking/hiking/camp/general field knife. I would pair a hatchet or a saw with it if it looks like I'll need one. But that knife looks about perfect.

RC-3 or RC-4.
Add a chopper if you are going to an area with heavy thick woods where a night out in the bush seems more likely. A hatchet and kayaking seem like an unlikely pair. Unless you are building a log cabin you can split wood with a 3"-4" fixed blade. I was walking in an area last weekend were I frequently hike and noticed many people with knives on them. This area is a real mess after all the heavy winds we had here in Southern California. I noticed dried dead wood everywhere in every size too. If I needed shelter and fire I wouldn't have a problem. In a heavily wooded area you may not need to chop at all but a good fixed blade will always have a place in the outdoors.

RC4 sounds like it would be the optimal knife for you. The only thing it may not excel in is chopping, but I am sure it would get the job done in a pinch. I am looking foward to purchasing one of these soon. I know there is no such thing as a perfect knife, but from what I can see, this one should come pretty damn close. Throw in the price of the blade and you cant lose. If that seems a little too large for your tastes, there is always the RC3.

I've often used the RAT3 and RAT7 as a combo, and they have everything just about covered for a northern woodland/mountains environment.

The knife will be used for a lot of kayaking/backpacking/hiking/camping/hunting this year. I plan to carry a smaller 3" SAK for really intricate work (like skinning small game), but want a larger knife for heavier chores. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Go for a smaller knife (3-4"), and carry a hatchet. Both proper tools for the job, but heavier and more of a pain. Would mean I'm carrying 3 cutting tools.
For this option (which I think is your better option), the RC-4 seems purpose built. For a general use knife, I like Mors Kochanski's "rule of palm": use a knife whose blade is roughly the same as the width of your palm. Most people's palms are roughly 4". If you weren't taking the SAK, it'd be more of a tossup between the RC-4 and RC-3.

2. Get the larger knife that can cut and work as a chopper (5-7"), ditch the hatchet. Carrying two knives, but I'm afraid the larger knife will be too big for the "medium" tasks, and still too small to be a good chopper.

A lot of people may disagree with me, but I don't consider a 7" blade a "chopper". I have a RAT-7, but for woodscraft/camping/hiking, it would NOT be my "big blade". Not that they can't do the job, but they do it slower and with more effort. I remember asking someone what they considered to be "making wuick work of" a log they had cut in half with a RAT-7, they said 5-6 minutes. That would have been about 30 seconds with a good hatchet or kukri. I'd consider a 7" blade the "middle blade" in a trio. Mostly I carry such blades for dressing and prepping game and such. It's a tad too big for fine work and a tad too small for heavy work.

BTW carrying a hatchet/kukri is made quite easy and not very strenuous by carrying it baldric style, rather than on a belt.

I'd think the RC-4. You should be able to do about anything with it--shelters, whittling, firesteels, hunting--it is going to be the best all around knife in the line (IMO)

Didn't the RAT guys specifically design the RC-4 for woodscrafting/bushcrafting anyway? Don't remember if I read that here or on the RAT forum.

Didn't the RAT guys specifically design the RC-4 for woodscrafting/bushcrafting anyway? Don't remember if I read that here or on the RAT forum.

Thats what I've gathered - Jeff/Mike mention it somewhere on the RC site.

Edit - Here it is: "This is the longer, thicker "wilderness" model of the popular RC-3 tactical knife. With its 3/16" thickness, full flat grind, rounded pommel, Micarta handles and light weight, it can serve as a primary backpacking and wilderness survival knife, or fitted to your modular system for duty carry in a tactical environment. "

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-4.htm

Back