Backpacking trip, water proof stuff sack?

This past weekend I went on a solo backpacking trip on the AT. I was planning on going for three days but I got caught in a storm and my sleeping bag got soaked when the trash bag I wraped around it got torn. Anyways, I ended up hiking in the dark on the second day so that I would not have to sleep in it. Well, I'm looking to buy something a little more durable than a trash bag to cover my sleeping bag with. I have a standard coated nylon stuff sack for it, but that doesn't help much. What do you guys think?

Granite,

Get one of the tougher sacks made for river rafting/kayaking on white water -- they are made to withstand rapids and smashing against rocks, and are more rubberizied. They seem to work well. I don't recall the brand names, but you can find them at REI and other places. Eastern Mountain Sports most certainly carries them.

The regular nylon sacks that are coated tend to rip up when you're around rocks and pull apart easily at the seams in my experience.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

------------------
Suburbia: Where they tear out the trees, then name streets after them.

Cascade Designs Sealine bags are very good.
Outdoor Research Advanced bags are alost as good. The usual thing is to use a Sea bag and line it with two layers of garbage bags. i usually double bag; an OR bag inside a Sea bag. Vaude also makes good gear, but all of them are relatively expensive.

Dry bags are good insurance for stuff that has to stay dry: they're rugged and waterproof. I've used them with success in kayaks and on the back of a motorcycle. They're also expensive, difficult to fold and to pack, and they're heavy.

My advice is to use two good quality sleeping bag stuffsacks, one inside the other. Good ones can be had at any decent outdoor store. Also, try packing your bag inside the backpack.

db

Thanks for the advice, I bought a lightweight dry bag on rei.com today. I have seen the cascade designs dry bags, but there just to heavy. Hopefully the rei "lightweight" will live up to the hang-tag propaganda that accompanies it.
Dave B, sounds like a good idea, but I allready ordered my bag before I read your response. Oh, and I did have my sleeping bag inside my pack (North Face Renegade) but it didn't help.
Thanks again
Michael

------------------
An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Originally posted by Granite:
Well, I'm looking to buy something a little more durable than a trash bag to cover my sleeping bag with.
Unless there's a water proof inner bag made to fit your backpack, I think one made for another brand, but of similar size, would be the most practical.

I've got two of Klättermusen's inner bags, one to fit my backpack and one to fit inside a larger duffel I use for travel, although it's made for a backpack. The larger one weighs around 0.5 kg, but I think it's worth it to have everything safely water proof.

The opening of these bags is the kind where you roll it several times and then fasten it.

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
Latest update Fällkniven S1

"Smooth and serrated blades cut in two entirely different fashions."
- The Teeth of the Tyrannosaurs, Scientific American, Sep 1999

I use Outdoor Research's advanced stuff stack. The nylon is heavier than most other stuff sacks I've seen and has a roll top closure like the dry bags mentioned. I don't know how the price and weight compare with the other bags mentioned, just another option.

As a canoeist and outdoor traveller I think I can put you onto something good. I just bought an Ortlieb rucksack liner (German but available in the US). Fits perfectly in my alpiniste rucksack and it's absolutely bomb-proof. It is not affected by deet and I can get my sleeping bag, evening wear and anything else I need to keep dry into it comfortably. Most dry bags get punctured from the inside so watch what you put in!
smile.gif

------------------
"I'm arm'd with more than complete steel - The justice of my quarrel." Christopher Marlowe

Back