backup heater- any opinions??

needed for in-house; only needs to heat the average room. should i look at petroleum or kerosene? any ideas (yeah, this is y2k related) about size or brand? i live in Northeast PA; we have gas heat and i just want to be prepared. got the long-duration candles; got the lantern and flashlights and some extra food and water (may buy some iodine or purification tablets after visiting this site); but want to be prepared in case the cold becomes an enemy when the clock turns over.

Kelt34 I have a Kerosun Omni 105 that would work good for your needs. Easy to use and low odor (almost none), I like it. Something I've found that works a lot better than the battery/glow wire on the unit is one of those long butane lighters in the $3-4 range. I live in Colorado and my main concern after keeping reasonable warm if the power goes out is not having the pipes freeze in the house. My generator is set up to run my furnace if natural gas is still flowing, for awile anyway.I figure 5 gal. fuel minimun per week for the Kerosun.

------------------

We use the Glo-warm propane heaters as aux heaters. The 30k BTU are about $200 from Northern Tool and Equipment. These units are safe for indoor ventless heating, have an oxygen depletion sensor and are 99.9% efficient and rated for ventless operation. Output is heat and water vapor. This means they can be mounted or moved from room to room and humidify as well as heat.

30k BTU is a lot of heat. They use about 3 gal each propane per day when always on. We also have a battery powered Carbon Monoxide sensor. We bought it when we had the Kero sun and we quit using the unit because of the Carbon Monoxide alarms.

If you get any sort of unvented fuel heater, get a sensor!

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Back