bad news from Darrel

I just got a call from Darrel. His dad is taking a turn for the worst, so he's driving up to see him now. Getting in contact with him the next few days may be difficult because he's taking care of family stuff. Family is always first. He has my thoughts and prayers, and if you guys could do the same, I'd appreciate it. For the next few days, if you need something, please go through me. I'm available. You can find my contact info in the sticky thread.

Update: Darrel's father passed away this morning at 6:30 am. I had no idea how bad things were since Darrel is pretty private about matters like this.

EDIT: Darrel wanted me to post the following:
My father Darrel D. Ralph Sr. (Deano) passed this morning.
When we visited him Sunday he was weak and not eating, an indicator of his failing health.
He was happy to see the recent videos of his great grandbaby.
He loved that little girl!
He started having pain Monday so hospice increased his medication.
We had been to see him several times in the last days. He was fighting all the way, but it was his time.
He said to us on Sunday, I don’t want to eat; I have a way I want this to go.
He died from pneumonia which was a side effect of his Leukemia.
He was 86 with a birthday coming on May 30th.
He was a veteran of WWII and VERY proud to have served his country in the USA Navy.
He was survived by two daughters Joan, Pam, and his son Darrel.
Deano had several grandchildren, and great grandchildren.
He was one of the world’s great story tellers that always had a story or joke to make you laugh.
He always had a smile on his face, and never a care in his life.
Even when we woke him the night of his death, when asked if he was ok and he replied sure, I’m doing great and fell back into a semi coma.
Optimism was one of his best traits.
Please do not send flowers.
My father decided to donate his body to medical science.
We will have a small private get together at a date when his ashes are returned.
He would have wanted you to go and enjoy your life instead of worrying about him.

Darrel D Ralph Sr.
May 30th 1925 – April 17th 2012
We will miss him.
We love you dad, rest in God’s hands.

Last edited:
Crap. Family-related bad news is especially tough to hear.

My thoughts are with Darrel and his family. Godspeed to him.

We'll be thinking about you and your family, all the best.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say: our thoughts, prayers, and good wishes are with Darrel and his family on this day.

Darrel, you've moved us with your amazing work and generosity, and you have given something precious to us. But now the world has moved to take something precious from you, and for that you have our deepest sympathies.

Your honour and generosity have grown HTM/DDR into much more than just a business - it's a family unto itself. As members of that family, please let us know if we can do anything for you.

If there's one characteristic that defines you Darrel, it's your spirit. Your joie de vive, passion, and mettle will see you through this difficult time. Grace and strength be with you, my friend.

Please accept my sincere condolences.I'm so sorry for your loss.May he rest in peace.

Back