"Bali" Ring ??

I just returned from shoppping where I saw a guy wearing a ring with "Bali-patterened" holes in it. He said an old girl freind got it for him and didn't know where. I should have asked him if he had any old Bali's for sale, damn!! Any body have any info on this ring?? Thanks

Was it this one? http://members.aol.com/bboone5619/bali.html

If so, she couldn't have been a very old GF since I helped to design this ring less than a year ago. I have the original, the one in the picture, and still wear it every day, and the finish on it shows it. I got mine as a thumbring with a mirror finish on it and after all the use it's seen, it is still perfectly round, where my gold rings have become almost oblong.

I know most people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a plain ring, but I'm not most people and I wanted a way for people to identify me as a Balisonger without seeing my knives.

Boone is a great guy to deal with. I had my ring in less than a week once he had started making it. 2 weeks total if you add in the design time where we were trying to agree of specifics of the holes and width.

I sincerely appreciate the replies from you folks. I have not worn any type of ring in years - this one is so unique, that I'm considering it. It identifies me as a Bali knut !! And may open up other freindships - the best part of being a knife knut. In the pics you have provided, I haven't seen any way to contact the maker of this ring -- OK, I'm not a computer whiz --- More help please???
Thanks, Pete

Thanks to all you folks --- looks like I'm connected !! Muchas gracias from the "Great Southwest" !!!! Pete

same here!
paying more for a ring than a whole bali? why not just get a bm, then, and bend the handles? ;)

It costs money to machine Titanium from solid stock. I have one aswell, my family bought it for me when they decided I needed something to commemorate all of the years I have spent playing with this magnificant knife. I am not a jewelery person at all and I have never been big on rings, but this one I have great appreciation for and would not be satisfied with anything else.:D

Because it is a custom ordered ring. These things aren't mass produced. Most things that are ordered individually are expensive. Mr. Boone has invested thousands of dollars in the machinery that makes these rings. He doesn't just buy Ti. pipe and cut it to width, he starts with Ti stock and hollows the middle till the thickness is correct, then gets the width correct and cuts it, plots and drills the holes, rounds the edges of the ring and holes and then poishes it up. These rings are hand finished also.

He could make it out of SS but it would still be around the same price. Why? Because he has to pay off the thousands of dollars he has invested in his equipment, his house, car, bills, etc. Anything custom is going to cost you.

I can buy a Jag balisong for $30, does that mean that Dobruski is crazy for charging $250-$400? DDR gets anywhere from $450-$6000 for his balisongs, and quite a few people in here have spent quite a bit for a balisong. Why? Because it is a custom order, custom makers spend days-weeks on each knife, and they have to pay their bills in that time. A major company can mass produce knives at 50-100 or more each day. Less time invested and more quantity means less price.

Go buy a standard thumb ring at a surf shop and you'll spend from $10-$20. Then compare the quality with a Boone $95 band. The cheaper ring isn't completely round, isn't comfort fit with a smooth edge. The groves in the $10 ring aren't symetrical when they should be and the ring is often not "finished" how it comes out of the machine is what you get.

Remember, Ti is hard stuff and takes different tools to machine than cheap steel or gold or silver. As I recall, most gold/silver rings are cast, not machined. Machining costs more and allows you a more perfect product. If you don't like the price, don't pay it and get yourself a cheap ring and try drilling some holes yourself.

Let me finish with this: If you think Boone is too high with his price, go shop around for Ti rings on the web. Boone is the cheapest I've seen. Even though he wants $200 for the ring, I asked several other companies and even one Jewelry maker on the forum. They all wanted anywhere from $400-$600 to do it.

Go look for the Luna ring at http://titaniumera.com/specialstyles.html and see how much they want for it since it's a similar style.

Check their main page and see what they want for just plain bands http://titaniumera.com/

One thing I just noticed is that they have a price match guarantee. They will match the price on similar rings and deduct another 10%, why not try asking them?

The Luna looks like a Bali ring reject.

I think the cost is completely reasonable. Plus you get
excellent service to boot.

Because he has to pay off the thousands of dollars he has invested in his equipment, his house, car, bills, etc. Anything custom is going to cost you.

This illistrates "fixed" versus "variable" costs..."Fixed" of course being his machines, etc. that he must have whether he makes one ring or 1000. The fixed costs are so high for this type of project that the variable costs like the cost of the titanium actually have much less influence on the final price we pay. Like anything, you get what you pay for and this aint no cheapie!

ok, so if i get those ppl to match the one for $190, minus 10%, that means i could get it for $171, and since you've all done a very good job in convincing me (i know, i'm easilly convinced ;)), i think i'm gonna talk to these people. :) because it IS a nice ring! :D

one question, though...: how is it to flip the bali wearing this ring?
and another one: will it easilly get marks and 'cuts' and stuff? or is it 'rock solid'?

Originally posted by ixpfah
ok, so if i get those ppl to match the one for $190, minus 10%, that means i could get it for $171

Yes, but the only problem is they don't make the bali ring :confused:

Well, mine is a thumb ring and I got it just wide enough so it doesn't interfere with any of my flipping. Is it rock solid? It doesn't lose it's shape is about all I can say, you can't bend it or crush it easily. BUT it is fairly easy to scratch if you do much hard work with it. I got mine in polished but now it looks pretty scrathched, similar to a jewel Ti liner in a linerlock. Its still very shiney though and I think it gives it some character. The only time I ever take mine off is when I sleep because my hands tend to swell during the night. I wear it to work, school, MA class, and the gym so it's gets abused on a daily basis and yet it is still perfectly round. My gold rings are all deformed though.

I also found that if you are good with finger locks, you can use to ring as a weapon by applying pressure from it onto someones finger nails or knuckles. It works for applying added pressure to any joint or boney surface. The holes in it seem to be great at holding your opponents joints very firmly.

Back