Basket Stamping with Horsewright

horsewright - slight resurrection of this thread. Just finished a quiver sheath for a friends fishing knife. first, your tutorial on basket stamping helped a LOT ... much easier to keep the patter straight and filling the space. THANKS!

Unfortunately, I found that thr process of stamping appeared to stretch the leather somewhat differently on one side versus the other, leading to the edges on the welt side not really matching, and causing the overall sheath to be "twisted" or "torqued". this in turn led to a REALLY bad sewing line on the back side. How do you avoid this?? or maybe just dont do a basket stamp (or any significant stamping) on a small quiver like this????

1621447008003.png
1621447042815.png

The real answer is to tool the front side only. I seldom tool anything all the way around and I mean SELDOM! Not only does it stretch kinda unpredictably as you noticed, ( that can be mitigated by putting blue tape on the back side while tooling). But, tooling around the fold of the sheath significantly weakens that part and the tooling washes out. I just don’t do that much if ever. Bout the only thing I might run the border stamp around the bottom f a Rangeflap holster but that’s about it.

Ya bet buddy you’re welcome!

Thanks Dave . That would take some creativity on a quiver ... but where there is a will there is a way! :)

Back