Battleblades katana review

I finally made my decision about getting a katana. This is the senshi erai hito katana from battleblades. I actually had a chance to talk with the owner of the brand and buy directly from him, I have had contacts with him many times before. The brand is new and I think it deserves attention.

I'm sorry about the quality of the pictures, it is dark now where I live and my equipment does not allow high quality pictures. The pattern on the steel is stunning and I must wait to get better light. The pictures don't do justice to the sword.

I had a proper chance to handle the weapon and talk with the seller. To start with, I have limited experience of katana's, mostly I have trained european sword arts for many years in the past. Then I had a chance to handle and also cut with good quality weapons, longswords, arming swords and italian style sideswords. True, my training is naturally mostly with blunt swords. These days I train kenjutsu occasionally. Still I have had a chance to handle some Hanwei and Cold Steel katanas and see their quality myself. Take anything I say about katana's with a pinch of salt and judge yourself.

The overall quality of this katana is in my opinion very good. The blade is well done. The bohi is symmetrical on both sides, hamon well visible and so is the folding pattern. I like the small, simple tsuba. Kashira and fuchi are simple and stylish. I'm not so sure about the yellow same but it goes well with the colour of the ito. The seller and the website say ito is silk, I have no way to say if this is true. Anyway it feels like good quality material. Ito is tight, not super tight, I can just move it by pressing hard with fingers. The wrapping pattern is not totally even and that can be critisised. Tsuka construction is solid, there is no movement in any parts. The habaki and seppa have some patterning, which is a nice addition. Everything is fitted well.

What convinced me was the handling. It feels natural, not overly tip heavy. I understand that katana is compared to european swords a very different weapon. Still it moves easily. It has weight, but in movement the weapon feels purposefull but lighter than the actual mass. I can't explain it, but it kind of floats through the movement.
The saya is in my opinion well executed. The same on it is a nice touch. The kurikata has a metal (brass?) shitodome. Fitting is good, it keeps the blade well but breaks with a gentle push of the thumb. Sageo is nicely wrapped and knotted.

I want to offer also some criticism. The edge could be a bit sharper. Maybe the sharpener did not want to ruin the hamon, I don't know, the edge is almost there. It cuts, but would need a finish. Anyway I'm probably not going to cut much with this, I will train very carefully with this sword and just admire it, like a piece of art.
Is this worth the asking price? The price I payed is between me and the seller but the sword is on the upper class price level when purchased from several web shops. It is subjective what you want to pay and what you expect. I'm personally happy with my purchase.

xA1fsW6.jpg

05S2S7g.jpg

VCaXLAg.jpg

Back