Be Glad You Live here in the USA and Not in the UK

Knife Lovrs"

I just viewed a video (lost the link) about knife laws in the UK. Wow. There is a prohibition on any sword made after 1954 for some reason. Antiques are allowed.

While pocket knives are allowed, even a pocket knife that locks; but it seems that any knife that can be opened with one hand ("flick knife", assisted opening or gravity knife).

Here in Texas, about any blade can be openly carried in public.

Knife Lovrs"

I just viewed a video (lost the link) about knife laws in the UK. Wow. There is a prohibition on any sword made after 1954 for some reason. Antiques are allowed.

While pocket knives are allowed, even a pocket knife that locks; but it seems that any knife that can be opened with one hand ("flick knife", assisted opening or gravity knife).

I feel bad that they have to live with that bullcrap there.

Don't take anything for granted even if you live in the United States. Huge plug here for Knife Rights an amazing organization that works tirelessly to help promote and advocate for legal protections across the US. Please join, every single person helps.

I bought a sword in the UK a few years back. Not an antique.

Not contradicting you: I think that the laws are a little different now.

And more specifically, for some reason, they make a distinction between a straight sword and a curved sword. I didn't go into that to keep the OP simple.

Not contradicting you: I think that the laws are a little different now.

And more specifically, for some reason, they make a distinction between a straight sword and a curved sword. I didn't go into that to keep the OP simple.
Ok, but I visited a forge where they make swords, so I'm not sure what law you are talking about. Maybe the 2008 law? And I believe you can have a curved sword if you are part of a club.

Last edited:
Knife Lovrs"

I wonder if they'd allow a spray painted black Randall? 😁

But seriously, you know we left there and fought a little war over it, right? There's a reason for that...

I always got a little chuckle over their quaint laws. I find them a bit ironic in the context of public safety. Love our cousins in the UK, but wow... I don't think I could adapt living with some of their laws on knives, guns, and self-defense in general. The weird electrical outlets are the deal killer though. I just can't!

Universal-Travel-Wall-Charger-AC-Power-Au-UK-Us-EU-Plug-Adapter.jpg

Knife Lovrs"

I'm glad
Since 30 years glad
Never even thinked to move to GB !!!
I won
Big time

Ok, but I visited a forge where they make swords, so I'm not sure what law you are talking about. Maybe the 2008 law? And I believe you can have a curved sword if you are part of a club.
I think I saw the video the OP is referring to. Apparently it is currently legal to own swords made before 1954 (I don't recall the specific year) and/or swords made more recently using "traditional methods."

I speculate the "traditional methods" requirement was designed to prohibit the peasants from buying cheaper, mass produced swords while permitting more affluent people to buy hand made items. I imagine the logic is that people who can afford a hand made piece are not likely to use it to mug passersby.

I think there are also several "legitimate use" exceptions for HEMA instructors, researchers, film/theater groups, etc.

I'm not defending the laws - I think they're overbearing - just trying to carify.

Hi all,
The laws here are strick and somewhat stupid paticulary regarding swords - a new law was passed a coupler years back to stop people using japanse "katana" types without considering collectors/reinactors/European martial Artists using Sabres.tulwars etc the get out is to show good reason to have one.
if your visiting the UK dont carry anything other than a non locking penknife under 3 inches. (swiss army knife or small pruning knife)
The contraversy remains over the french Opinal pocket knife as it uses a collar and is technically outside the knife ban.

Here is the UK law:

Basic UK laws on knives​

It’s illegal to possess a banned knife or weapon. It’s also illegal to:

• bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give someone a banned knife or weapon
  • carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long
  • sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long
  • use any knife in a threatening way
In Scotland, 16 to 18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery and kitchen knives.

Lock knives​

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

Lock knives:

• have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button (So technically speaking an opinal knife is outside of this and is legal, as you dont press a button to unfold it.)
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener (goodbye leatherman ,gerber etc however again yo udont press abutton to unfold the older leathermans from the80's/ 90's.)

Banned knives and weapons​

It’s illegal to bring into the UK, possess, sell, hire, lend or give someone a banned knife, unless a legal exemption applies.

Knife typeDescription
Butterfly knivesAlso known as ‘balisongs’. A handle that splits in the middle to reveal a blade.
Disguised knivesA blade or sharp point hidden inside something that looks like an everyday object such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick.
Flick knives or gravity knivesAlso known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’. Folding knives where the blade opens automatically, by gravity or by pressing a button or something else on the knife.
Stealth knivesNon metal knives or spikes which are not made for use at home, for food or as a toy.
Zombie knivesA knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence.
SwordsA curved blade over 50 centimetres, with some exceptions such as antiques, swords made to traditional methods, or swords made before 1954.
SwordstickA hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade.
Push daggerA knife where the handle fits within a clenched fist and the blade comes out from between two fingers.
BlowpipesSometimes known as ‘blow guns’. A hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath.
Telescopic truncheonsA knife that extends automatically, or by pressing a button or spring that is in or attached to the handle.
BatonsStraight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons.
Hollow kubotanA cylinder-shaped container containing a number of sharp spikes
ShurikensAlso known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’. A hard non-flexible plate with three or more sharp radiating points, designed to be thrown.
Kusari gamaA sickle attached to a rope, cord, chain or wire.
Kyoketsu shogeA hook-knife attached to a rope, cord, chain or wire.
Kusari or ‘manrikigusari’A weight or hand grip attached to a rope, cord, chain or wire.
HandclawsA band of metal or other hard material worn on the hand, from which sharp spikes come out.
FootclawsA bar of metal or other hard material worn on the foot, from which a number of sharp spikes come out.
Knuckle dustersA band of metal or other hard material worn on one or more fingers.
Cyclone or spiral knivesA blade with one or more cutting edges that form a spiral and come to a point.
Belt buckle knifeA buckle which incorporates or conceals a knife.
You should contact your local police to check if a knife or weapon is illegal.

Good reasons for carrying a knife or weapon​

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
  • if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Last edited:
Lol I wish I lived in the UK... you haven't seen knife laws here in Italy; basically ANY knife, even pinky-length ones, which don't even lock, can get you into trouble if you are walking in the city and if you don't have a "valid reason", meaning you aren't in full trekking/camping attire and are far off any town center. And let's not get into auto knives, balisongs, assisted knives, switchblades and double edged daggers/knives which can't even be owned in your own home, they are in fact considered "proper weapons", which require a lengthy permit which, in case you don't have, you can get fined or even arrested for possessing these knives. In fact these knives are straight up illegal; it's ironic how you are more likely to be able to carry an Italian stiletto in Texas than in Italy. On the other hand knives that open with one hand and have a blade that locks are basically on the borderline to be considered weapons. You can own them but you really need to be careful about carrying them, only being allowed to have them with you when camping, even the most basic liner lock folder, with these knives being forbidden anywhere and at any time unless you again have this "valid reason" which can totally be subjective and depending on whether the officer is having a good or a bad day can pretty much screw you up, not there being an objective and precise law about knives, which at least they have in the UK. I've heard in fact that in the UK you can carry a knife I believe under 3'' with a non locking blade without needing a "valid reason", which is something I'd personally be grateful for if it was allowed here.

Back