Bear attacks on people: 1900 to 2009

Since there is a frequent amount of bear talk around Daniels shop and others on here, I thought this might be a good one to post. It dispells many fallacies about bear attacks, including getting between a Sow black bear and her cubs, or Grizzly maulings don't happen after November. According to the numbers, lone male black bears cause more fatal attacks than anything because they were predatory attacks! People being stalked, attacked and killded for food.

Check it out, some interesting info.

http://www.bearsmart.com/paper/1182

-Xander

Since there is a frequent amount of bear talk around Daniels shop and others on here, I thought this might be a good one to post. It dispells many fallacies about bear attacks, including getting between a Sow black bear and her cubs, or Grizzly maulings don't happen after November. According to the numbers, lone male black bears cause more fatal attacks than anything because they were predatory attacks! People being stalked, attacked and killded for food.

Check it out, some interesting info.

http://www.bearsmart.com/paper/1182

-Xander

Interesting!

It's almost always the young male bears I see, they are the boldest. They are easy to scare off, just make yourself big and yell at them. It usually literally scares the crap out of them. I find they run off and hide, usually where they can watch you!

One year the bears were really bad and they were reported in down town Durango! Most people from town have never seen a bear, I was amazed by all the locals who said it was their first sighting.

That year I had a mother bear that did anything to get our trash, she dug under our pumphouse and dragged trash out of it. We decided to use chains and locks to tie the trash down, she squeezed the can out from the locks and chains! The cans we have are gnarly too! We had a peach tree she knocked down later that year. She had two cubs that were always nearby. Once we went out and started yelling at the cubs and she went for us! What was scary was that after that she would look into our house (had a glass wall) and intimidate us!

My grandparents lived out in the bush in Canada, my grandfather once spent the night in a tree because of a bear! They had one break in their cabin, lol my grandma would chase them away with a broom! They knew some campers that had a Volkswagon Beetle ripped apart for the food inside! Their neighbor in later years did filming with the guy that got eaten, he showed me some crazy footage, It turns out a bear can run down a near cliff at full control if they want to. He also had footage of a bear running straight through 15 foot pine trees just crushing all of them.

Here if we have a problem we are supposed to report the bear, after three strikes they are shot. If I do have one that is bad a bag of ammonia covered in peanut butter is supposed to ward them off... they bite into it and the ammonia is so bad they won't come back.

LOL once I came home with what I thought was the police over, they were "bear control" talking to my neighbor because he had one in his trash. Last year they were investigating people in my canyon, it is a huge fine if you are caught taking your trash out now. We even have to lock our cans because of liability! They need to put me in charge... I'd solve the problem in one day, how about a big locked metal dumpster... :D

I am not one to worry about animals getting me but I'd better be smart too!

Last edited:
Daniel we have some big bears up here.I have never had a problem but when I go to the woods I always have a large Bowie knife and either one of my 44 mags or my 454.Either of them would roll a bear that was at full charge.I have some hot loaded 300 grain hand loads. But for bears my 40 calibers would work for them.They are not real hard to kill.

Back