Bear Grylls is not quite a survivor

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

TV 'survival king' stayed in hotels

TO LIVE up to his public image of a rugged, ex-SAS adventurer, it must have seemed essential for Bear Grylls to appear at ease sleeping rough and catching his own food in his television survival series.

But it has emerged that Grylls, 33, was enjoying a far more conventional form of comfort, retreating some nights from filming in mountains and on desert islands to nearby lodges and hotels.

Now Channel 4 has launched an investigation into whether Grylls, who has conquered Everest and the Arctic, deceived the public in his series Born Survivor.

The series, screened in March and April and watched by 1.4m viewers, built up Grylls’s credentials as a tough outdoorsman. In a question and answer session on Channel 4’s website, he recalls how station bosses pitched the venture to him stating: “We just drop you into a lot of different hellholes equipped with nothing, and you do what you have to do to survive.”

But an adviser to Born Survivor has disclosed that at one location where the adventurer claimed to be a “real life Robin-son Crusoe” trapped on “a desert island”, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and spent nights at a motel.

On another occasion in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains where he was filmed biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and struggling for survival “with just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire”, he actually slept some nights with the crew in a lodge fitted with television and internet access. The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as “a cosy getaway for families” with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

In one episode Grylls, son of the late Tory MP Sir Michael Grylls, was shown apparently building a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo, hibiscus twine and palm leaves for a sail.

But according to Mark Weinert, an Oregon-based survival consultant brought in for the job, it was he who led the team that built the raft. It was then dismantled so that Grylls could be shown building it on camera.

In another episode viewers watched as Grylls tried to coax an apparently wild mustang into a lasso in the Sierra Nevada. “I’m in luck,” he told viewers, apparently coming across four wild horses grazing in a meadow. “A chance to use an old native American mode of transport comes my way. This is one of the few places in the whole of the US where horses still roam wild.”

In fact, Weinert said, the horses were not wild but were brought in by trailer from a nearby trekking station for the “choreographed” feature.

“If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,” he said.

Channel 4 confirmed that Grylls had used hotels during expeditions and has now asked Diverse, the Bristol-based production company that made the programme, to look into the other claims.

“We take any allegations of misleading our audiences seriously,” said a spokeswoman for the channel.

The latest suggestion that Channel 4 may have breached viewer trust comes as the broad-caster’s supervisory board prepares to issue new editorial guidelines to suppliers in order to stamp out alleged sharp practices that mislead viewers.

“Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a ‘how to’ guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments,” the spokeswoman said.

“The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls’s experience is one of unaided solo survival.”

Nevertheless, the disclosure is likely to disappoint fans of the Eton-educated adventurer, who at the age of 23 became the youngest Briton to scale Everest. Just two years before that he had broken his back in three places after his parachute ripped during a military exercise.

On screen he has emerged as a natural performer, with stunts such as squeezing water from animal dung and sucking the fluid from fish eyeballs.

Grylls could not be contacted for comment this weekend as he was trekking in the Brecon Beacons with his four-year-old son.

Bear seems to be doing reinactments of potential imaginary survival senerios, I think the show is intertaining but would prefer to get a second opinion on his techniques.

Its just a dang tv show! How many times to I have to say this? Sponge Bob isn't real either. :thumbup: :D

spongebob.gif

Its just a dang tv show! How many times to I have to say this? Sponge Bob isn't real either. :thumbup: :D

spongebob.gif

Oh man, I just bought two tickets to bikini bottom on ebay from a chap in Nigeria....

If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,” he said

Now that is an understatement, it's TV folks, where does anyone think that the camera crew sleeps, or recharges their camera batteries, or drink beer on their travel expense tab?

The credits on "Man Vs. Wild" list a "survival expert" below Bear's credits. Bear is a presenter of information. (an entertaining one, at that) If he is some sort of "fraud", I could care less. He's fun to watch. -Matt-

Well I'm shocked! Anyone that drinks their own piss and sucks on elephant turds has got to be the real deal don't they?

I always find it amusing when he says that he will be stranded in a hostile environment with nothing but a knife, the clothes on his back and...a camera crew. I almost choked when he said this just before he performed a HALO Jump (how's the camera crew gettin' down :D )

The search function is your friend. Yoy could also read related threads before you post. Old news.

Edited to add that this is even older news on Hood's forum. That info has been posted here too.

Edited again. Here is a link regarding Roman history. The events are true but remember this is television so take what you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Hp1l5s7hM

This reminds me of Bill Clinton getting some action in the oval office. There were lots of people that said "Whats the big deal, everyone does it, he just got caught". I say bullshit, everyone does not have sex with their subordinates and then lie about it, and I don't like to be lied to... TV, entertaining, or not.

I am not naive enough to believe everything I see on TV, or even most of it. However if you tell me something as the truth or even imply it and then I find out your a liar and a fraud, I will not chalk it up to "oh well it's just TV". Chris

On another occasion in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains where he was filmed biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and struggling for survival “with just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire”, he actually slept some nights with the crew in a lodge fitted with television and internet access. The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as “a cosy getaway for families” with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

I stayed there with my grandparents when I was a kid. There are several excellent natural waterslides at Bass Lake, very much worth looking for if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

I haven't thought of that place in 20 years.

I'm going to end up watching Bear every Friday anyway.

It's still one of the more interesting/entertaining shows on television.

Hell, it's just TV right? ;)

this is freaking awesome!!!! ten thousand "Bear Grylls sucks" threads on the internet turned out to be completely TRUE!!!!! Now I wonder if all the turds who defended that idiot will publicly apologize for their stupidity!

Bottom line.. IT'S TELEVISION! With all of the useless shit that is on tv I still choose Man vs Wild over most things. Im sure most that bitch still watch it!

“Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a ‘how to’ guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments,” the spokeswoman said.

Eeesh. Anyone who watches Bear and considers it a 'how to' guide to survival is going to get into trouble.

I'll admit that I have been skeptical on more than one occasion of some of Bear's situations and happenings, but I don't mind. It is an intersting show, it can get you thinking outside the box a bit, and above all else, it is entertaining.

Geeble, gobble, geeble, gobble, I accept him, I accept him!

Bwahahaha!!

I think this sentence from near the end sumarizes the show perfectly:

On screen he has emerged as a natural performer, with stunts such as squeezing water from animal dung and sucking the fluid from fish eyeballs.

It really is more similar to Fear Factor than a serious educational outdoor show.

-Bob

You know, although his show is staged and most of his techniques are dangerous, I can't help watching. I just noticed something on the Ecuador show. Early on he (rightly) bemoans the loss of the rain forest through deforestation, then he cuts down like thirty trees to build a shelter, a bridge, a raft...

this is freaking awesome!!!! ten thousand "Bear Grylls sucks" threads on the internet turned out to be completely TRUE!!!!! Now I wonder if all the turds who defended that idiot will publicly apologize for their stupidity!

"Who Dares Wins" Man :D:D

Back