Bear Grylls Posts go here!

Seems the Bear has been less than 100% honest about details of his performances:http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece
Very enlightening article. Thanks Thomas. I guess staying over in hotel rooms is handy for freshening up, eating hearty and washing the taste of Elephant poop out of his mouth.

I understand there are new episodes of Survivorman coming out soon and I hope Les Stroud is not forced to emulate Grylls antics in order to stay up in the ratings.

Bear is more entertaining than Les Stroud but at least Les is for real. I watched an episode of Survivorman the other night where he tried again and again to get his figure 4 deadfall set up and the sticks were too long, too short, the angle was wrong. Honestly, he looked foolish but he persisted and got it set up and working. Thats real survival, IMO. What Bear does is entertainment with, sometimes, some survival info thrown in. It should be marketed as such. I imagine lawsuits will someday be rolling in against Bear and Man vs Wild, if they haven't already.

Seems the Bear has been less than 100% honest about details of his performances:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

More than that, Bear has actually fully staged scenes. He is sometimes not even actually be in the wild, but just pulled over alongside the other tourists on the road after freshening up last night at the hotel, and can't be bothered to walk more than a couple hundred yards off the road before filming and pretending to be in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Yep Les is the real deal, anyone has to admit that.
But much more then that even is Les actually cares about nature, not making money,
and I believe has a lot of the same qualities as many people in this wilderness and survival forum.
I think Bear is a complete sham but hey, he's doing a lot more then I am at the moment.
80% of the guys here could make a more informative show then his, but the truth is less people would watch it, it's the whole Ron Hood thing again.

Check Gryll's support of charities - where most of the moola he raised for the majority of his 'stunts' actually went. Sure, he may pull the covers up in a lodge/motel at night - but he really climbed Everest, circumnavigated the British Isles single handed, etc - and donates a fortune. I wonder how much he makes on his ~$735 Bayley knife?

Stainz

I am sure Bear is a great guy, I would have a beer with him.
His credibility is in question, not his charachter, however.

You know, a lot of it depends on your perspective.
I never saw his show as some kind of survival tutorial, and I don't think it's meant to be.
The title is "Man vs Wild", not Survivorman.

Let's face it, his show is about "I'm getting paid to f**k around in wild, exotic locations." It's an advanture show, not a survival show. I can't believe he'd take a lot of the risks he takes if he thought he was teaching survival. He's out having fun, filming it, and getting paid for it.

I daresay that more people probably tune in to Man vs Wild than do Survivorman. let's face it, MvW is more entertaining. I like both. Survivorman teaches me stuff, MvW stirs the enthusiasm of my youth. Heck, a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I wanted to do the stuff Bear Grylls does -- I even thought that's what surviving was all about, lots of running, climbing and eating disgusting things. Now, I like to watch Survivorman so I can learn enough to NOT have to do what Bear Grylls does (OK, I learned more from Bushcraft b y Mors and a couple of Hood's Woods videos I bought, but Les is still good to watch.

So watch Bear for entertainment and watch Les for more reality.

I love Bear. His work has helped Ramada hotels more than anything else I can think of. Also, he's inspired me to come out with a line of elephant poop water. It'll be on shelves soon. :thumbup:

My wife loved 'Fear Factor' - where they ate disgusting stuff - playing for money. She doesn't 'get' Bear Grylls - thinks he's an idiot for eating & drinking what he does. FF contestants okay, Bear not - until I asked her if she thought da 'Bear' did it for free... now she has more respect for him. I do think he likes a challenge - and would rather climb a waterfall than take the stairs... just keep him away from Niagara Falls.

Watching Les Stroud last night with his kayak in Alaska, I felt he, too, was a bit careless - not in his campfire setting his lean-too afire, but in eatting days-old salmon remainders from an eagle - raw! He had plenty of non-meat nutrition. Still, he is a bit guttsier, in my mind. With all of the bear signs around his campsite, I'd probably had Claymores deployed. I liked his Buck 119, too. Bear would have pulled out the old plastic for a night's stay...

Stainz

Most of Bear's adventures are pure hollywood trash in a beautiful scenic setting. I like watching the show more for the places in the world he travels, rather than his stupid stunts that would send most folks into the hospital for a stomach pump out session.

ginger_frankernesttoon.jpg

And Bear's camera crew does everything he does but with cameras, gear and battery packs :p

Kidding of course. I still watch his show once in a while. It is entertainment after all. I can't say I would rough it when I didn't have to. If there's is a resort just over the hill and I'm getting paid either way...

Back